little alpaca is cold?

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:hugs I really hope he pulls through. I didn't know Valley Fever affected ruminants.

I have Valley Fever myself (3rd generation AZ native). Lived there the first 25 years of my life. I still have respiratory issues when the weather changes, despite not having lived there is over 15 years.

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Finally an update. We did not think he was going to make it through the night. But he did. He even made friends with our cat who came to visit. When temps went over 40 we put him back out to his herd. Although he was still quite limp for most of the day he got up in the afternoon after some feeding. He is also drinking water on his own. His breathing got much better during the day an much worse again in the evening. I'll ask the vet on Monday but I think that does not sound like valley fever. Maybe pneumonia. Anyway all the shots we are giving seem to help with the breathing and the fever. We added pen g this morning as well on the vets recommendations. He is a lot squirmier and harder to feed. Thank God!

ca

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Lucky us the little guy is almost back to normal. He drank half a liter of water over might. When we put him out with the herd this morning he Washington finally nursing again and also started to eat hay. We are quite relieved! It seems the worst is over. We will continue the antibiotics until tomorrow when we'll have a good chat with the vet. Thanks for all the crossed fingers!

LadyIsabelle2011

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yay! :bun I was so worried for him :barnie , he looks like such a handsome little cutie in that picture. :D