Little help please

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wonder if there's any preventative to avoid Lyme disease. I've worried about that but I can't just use DE bc the outdoor pigs lay in the creek and everything else so it would wash off. Should my pigs be vaccinated? I've heard of people selling them vaxed but idk what kind of vaccines pigs get

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I sprinkled some DE in their bed. I rubbed some on them too. Some got a little more than I intended. Hopefully it doesn't affect them! I tried rubbing it out some but it didn't really go.

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Boots looks so depressed. She won't play with the others. She just lays around til it's time to eat. Are some piglets like that?

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think i figured out why Boots is so skinny. She nurses the back teats, which seem to no longer have milk in them! Like they shut down from not being nursed enough. I've read that can happen. Wouldn't she try to find another one though? There's only 6 piglets and she has 12 teats. If 4 aren't working that still leaves 8 working.

Reactions: TAH

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does 5ml sound like a good amount for an 11 day old piglet at one sitting? I managed to syringe feed Boots. I did have 7.5ml in th syringe but some got wasted. Either she spit it out or I accidentally pushed when she was slapping her jaws trying to make sure she got it all. I moved the syringe so slow you couldn't tell any was gone unless you looked at the syringe itself. I'm wanting to prevent her from aspirating but giving her a fighting chance she has sores above her front hooves from laying so much :(

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So they all started nursing including boots. So I took her out and offered her 10ml and she drank 7.5! So about 12.5ml total! :) I hope that's a lot. Her belly is nice and plump right now lol

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mine got a baby bottle. That way she could nurse without issue. At 4 weeks she was eating 4ml 2xdaily (potbelly).

She also weighed less than a pound.

Mouse14

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She gets thrown to the back while the fattest are all up front. That's why I pulled her. The back teats are totally flat :/
20160710_141144.jpg