Livestock Guardian Dogs?? Should I get one? (more pics)

russellmary

Just born
Reaction score
My husband and I were driving past our sheep fence last night and witnessed a dog - looked like a yellow lab mix - getting into the sheep fence. It's an electric fence too. Our three huge livestock guardians just let it in and started playing with it!!!!!!! We were shocked.

A ram lamb came up missing the other day, and I wonder if this dog chased it off. My husband chased the dog off in the truck while I checked to make sure all our sheep were accounted for. My husband said he would have run it over but thought I wouldn't want him to. I said I wouldn't have minded and that I was just wishing I had a gun - not to be spiteful or anything, but another dog is a serious threat to our sheep. Dogs should not be free to harass other people's livestock. The dog had a collar on. He was shocked by the fence on his way out.

Anybody heard of this happening before? What should we do about it? I'm very concerned about this. I can't believe our dogs let him in!!!! Our dogs are males. Maybe we should get a female too? Maybe this other dog was a female?

meme

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You will probably be able to trust it. I dont know a lot about great pyrenese dogs, but lady down the street has a great pyrenese dog,but I don`think she pets it that much. It will walk up to the fence and bark every time I walk by, but if you walk up to it it runs away. She has another dog named, "Mattey". She is a lot nicer to that one though, she takes it everywhere with her, and never pets the other dog. I am not saying not to get one, or not pet it, or love it, I am just saying that I don`t know if it will really protect them if you pet it to much. But I told you I don`t know that much about great pyrenese dogs. :) Anyway, I am pretty sure it will protect them even if you are very sweet to it, like I am with mine. Just wondering what kind of dog food do you feed it, Taste of the wild? Because that is one of the best dog foods, It has no corn, no bie products, no corn, and lots of other stuff.:):)

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :p :p :p :p :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: