rachels.haven's Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be Cushings disease. Bandito, my red cattle dog had that. Excessing drinking, eating like there was no tomorrow by busting into trash cans, trying to pull things off of countertops, trying to eat chicken food, snatching things out of our hand, bullying the cat, and behavior changes. Spent lots of money at two vets to be finally diag with Cushings.

A med helped a bit, but after three months, the symptoms increased. I finally had to put him down, and boy oh boy he was mad mad mad about that. Groaned, growled, snapped at the vet techs, who barely got the line in without danger. Then When they got him back to me, he wasn't right. I told them to hurry, give sedative and then hurry with the euthansia.

I'm sorry.

You really had a bad time with that. It’s kind of you to post this, so Rachel knows trying to “save” Bailey only puts off the inevitable and prolongs the misery. That’s what we do here. We share the good, but we also share the bad. It helps others.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could be Cushings disease. Bandito, my red cattle dog had that. Excessing drinking, eating like there was no tomorrow by busting into trash cans, trying to pull things off of countertops, trying to eat chicken food, snatching things out of our hand, bullying the cat, and behavior changes. Spent lots of money at two vets to be finally diag with Cushings.

A med helped a bit, but after three months, the symptoms increased. I finally had to put him down, and boy oh boy he was mad mad mad about that. Groaned, growled, snapped at the vet techs, who barely got the line in without danger. Then When they got him back to me, he wasn't right. I told them to hurry, give sedative and then hurry with the euthansia.

I'm sorry.
Thanks.
I looked it up on the FDA's website and describes her in most of the symptoms including bald spots she used to get on her sides with the delicate bubblegum pink skin under and obsessive drinking she used to have bad and still occasionally exhibits, the constant panting...and the groaning and growling followed by snapping. She sounds like she's tortured when she does that. Well, darn. Thank you for sharing. That will probably bring me peace later.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Baby Fire.jpg

A Pete x my Little Orchard doe doeling. That's the buck pen behind her through the feeder. Bailey is starting to try to get through that wall for their free choice grain. I'm contemplating letting Riker go somewhere else too. Someone I know really wants him and I'm tired of his grudge against me for getting him neutered and doing his health care when he got pneumonia and every year grooming. That combo of arrogant and nervous/skittish he's got makes caring for him to the level I feel he needs very difficult. He may be better off with a MAN that he respects (he prefers men, who did not do the unthinkable things I did to him) who has a hands off attitude. I'm not sure what we'll do for guardians, but I'm not sure the two of us are going to handle the changes well together. He may also need to be locked up at night there with the goats to keep the "rural" neighbors happy (Riker is LOUD) and he does not let me catch him consistently. Lotsa worries at every turn with him.

Aramis Kenai pete rump.jpg

This is Aramis. He's very uphill, but I'm wondering/pondering if his rump is too steep/hip high. He's heavily Lucky*Star's with some Olentangy/Rockin CB and just a little dash of an older line. I'm probably going to hang onto him and use him hard. Hope I don't regret it.

Coverbucksapril24.jpg

Pete the Crazy Beard, and Kenai the Beautiful Yak, and Aramis, the leave me alone and let me eat.

Aramis and Kenai are starting to jiggle when they walk. Pete...I have no idea how to get actual fat on his frame. He's a dairy guy.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aramis does look steep in that picture, but with the right doe might work. Breed him to several does and if he throws that steep rump consistently let him go.
I should probably let him go then. I had two does kid by him and result in 3 kids. Wide, but steep in one buckling. The two doelings, one is a little better then he is but still steep, and one is steeper.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I should probably let him go then. I had two does kid by him and result in 3 kids. Wide, but steep in one buckling. The two doelings, one is a little better then he is but still steep, and one is steeper.
*rechecked the buckling by aramis today and he's leveled out, which is crazy. IDK how, but he has. No idea on the doelings. too rowdy. They're probably still so-so steep because their mom is(and the one is still probably still terrible). Will stew, I guess. I would not mind lightening my load. If I'm not going to use him it would be nice to decide now and not in 6 months to a year. He's got so much width between the hocks with a nice U shaped udder(less) arch and adds spring of rib, but I don't want to lose body length and make a kid crop inconsistent and some very hip high.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
April's milk test results are in.
Emmi 11.6 lbs
Snowflake (mini saanen)11.8lbs
Hera 8 lbs
Summer 11.2 lbs
Dot (FF lamancha) 7.6 lbs
Iris (mini saanen) 10.6 lbs
Our mini saanens are doing what our mini saanens do and everyone else is performing about how I expected they would.
We are starting to have a little bit of butterfat protein inversion in Hera and the others feel close. I think it has to due with the fact the heat has turned on and the pasture is mostly just lush, lush, belly high clover. IDK if they are getting enough fiber right now, although everyone is starting to get fat. I don't think this is going to be the way it stays. With the heat on now, the lush growth should slow and mature and the lignin/fiber in the forage should start to rise and boost that butterfat back up.
I'm probably going to add some black oil sunflower seeds into their ration additionally just in case.

Still working on getting rid of the wethers.
Revax/tattoo day is in one week.
It's almost time for me to make a big CVI appointment.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I offer my ewes hay even in the lush spring grass and clovers because the new grass has so much water in it. Haha especially right now with water puddles all over the farm. Have had a lot of rain lately. With so many lambs, I’m sucking it up and buying them alfalfa for the extra nutrition . They even eagerly eat the stems.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's a really good idea, especially with the way lambs grow. That ewe milk must be rocket fuel.
I've left bales of my courser alfalfa in the feeders in the barn for them all this time for my does but we only go through about two bales a week, maybe four if it rains a lot. THAT has more fiber, but they don't want it unless the alternative is getting wet in some way. This next 7 or so days we're supposed to rain all week. Their rumens should be more happy.
These goofballs are eating like kids in a candy store this spring. Alfalfa hay being the fiber laden thing sure is weird.