Llama and goat question...

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We were given three yearling male llamas, of course they are intact. We plan and putting them with our goats when they are old enough to geld. my question is, can I put male goats in the them now? I know I can't put them with the does, but it would sure be nice to be able to run my bucks with them.

Thanks!

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't put any llama, male or female, with any other livestock unless you know that they grew up with other livestock. Not all llamas are good guardians. Llamas as a whole have an innate hatred for canids (dogs, foxes, coyotes, and wolves) but not all llamas are bonded to their livestock. Uncastrated male llamas will not discern between bucks or does when they get the urge to breed so the technique they use to breed will actually suffocate a goat to death. I would definitely get those 3 llamas castrated but just because they are castrated doesn't mean they won't try to still mount goats. They have to be castrated before they start showing signs/ behaviors of sexual maturity or this behavior will continue after castration. Bottom line, your llamas will likely not care if they are mounting a buck or doe and could injure or kill a good breeding buck.

Latest posts