LMP's 2019 Farrowing Thread: New babies from Lucy and Prissy

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
We liked Polish Spotted hogs for our own table since they carried more fat than commercial hogs. Do these carry more fat or are they super lean like commercials. We like fat on a hog since the super lean pork is not really tender and flavorful. Of course, we used to feed our hogs on corn soaked in goat milk so they were very tasty! LOL

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
We liked Polish Spotted hogs for our own table since they carried more fat than commercial hogs. Do these carry more fat or are they super lean like commercials. We like fat on a hog since the super lean pork is not really tender and flavorful. Of course, we used to feed our hogs on corn soaked in goat milk so they were very tasty! LOL
These are old type lard pigs, they are originally from hungary so they do fine in our climate. They take significantly longer to grow but its worth it for the end result.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Weather is pretty cold there. How are you doing with the freeze that is hitting the midwest and east coast? Hopefully the weather will ease up for farrowing. Do you use heat lambs in your farrowing barn?

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very intense nesting right now, she is very focused. Also her bag got super swollen overnight.
I'm guessing that is the nest because I don't see a pig in there ;)

Do you use heat lambs in your farrowing barn?
Ooh, heat lambs, dual duty! Keep the young pigs warm then get sold for someone's dinner. :lol:

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Weather is pretty cold there. How are you doing with the freeze that is hitting the midwest and east coast? Hopefully the weather will ease up for farrowing. Do you use heat lambs in your farrowing barn?
They honestly aren’t bothered by the weather, they have such a thick layer of fat that they dont really get cold. I have seen them lay outside in the middle of a storm and they are not bothered. We have our October 2018 litter living outside and they are doing fine. We move all girls into our barn for farrowing. They get a 10x10 stall all to themselves, plus lots of extra attention. Our girls are very tame and love scratches. We do have a heatlamp as we have some really cold days coming later this week. I think she is in labor, but she has put on such a show these past few days so I wont know till I see hard pushes.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Three babies were born over night but one passed away. I had a hunch she may have been having some difficulty, and by the size of the dead baby that was most likely the case. The baby was huge and was easily 2x the size of the live ones. The other two are so damn cute. There is a little boy and a little girl, both with round bellies full of milk. Maeja is a good momma and watched me carefully as I pet her babies, talking to them before going back to munch on her grain. She didn’t mind me near them which made me so happy! And although two babies isn’t the best litter size, I am greatful for happy babies and a healthy momma. Plus its her first litter, so she has time to prove herself.

Attachments

• 544A8326-D4C9-466A-B29B-E87BB52F35F8.jpeg
    544A8326-D4C9-466A-B29B-E87BB52F35F8.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 117
  • 32D1C23D-15A6-494B-A1C0-98650F1BB1BD.jpeg
    32D1C23D-15A6-494B-A1C0-98650F1BB1BD.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 116

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Momma is up and doing momma things, so I guess there shouldn't be any more stuck inside, right? :idunno Maybe trying to stay warm? As big as she was, I'd have expected more... :hide Glad the 2 are doing well. :clap