Looking at getting pigs aventuallyaventually advice needed

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am hoping to have them far enough from the house that it will prevent the kids from just running up and climbing if not I might only get feeders and make the pen as tall and put electric fencing on the top to deter the behavior when mommy has to run inside for one reason or another.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of our goat clients raises Kune Kune's. They do not root and that is a big appeal. This way they don't tear up the land. They are grazers and foragers. I don't know how much they weigh but I do know they are on the shorter side.
All the people I know that have them or have had them LOVE them. Apparently they are pretty docile.
Not a good idea to have pigs in with goats.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
You should train your children to NOT feed animals from their hand. It seems ok, cute at first but -- even the most docile goat can nibble a finger! A pig will certainly not make any distinction between a carrot and a finger (& can bite one off)! Horses, also. Teach them to throw it into a feed pan, on the grass if they must take treats. IF they feed from hand, the animal expects it and gets very pushy, looking for the food, even I they just smell of food -- maybe they children just ate cookies.

I NEVER fed my mini horses from my hand (they would rarely even take it from you, as I worked to stop them), so grandkids were very disappointed the first time they brought carrots & apples which the minis did not take from them. We had a big discussion about WHY. We often had scout troops visit -- lots of hugs, brushing, leading, and info about them, their care & uses -- no feeding. At shows, I did not want people feeding them either. Safety for people and animals.

It's just a good habit to teach. Just like don't walk behind the horse!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A neighbor has Kune Kune pigs. When they run out of grass, they will root it up and eat the roots.

I second what @Mini Horses said about the fingers. It only takes a second for a child to stick fingers through the wire and get it snapped off by a pig looking for a treat.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree my kids don't feed fro my their hands they throw the feed in the buckets or on the ground they only feed the chickens by hand and normally they don't even do that. My son doesn't like anything eating from his hand my daughter doesn't either they both know that the animals can bite. They just like to help feed the animals.

JACB Dorper

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ok I had two durocs which ere great big pigs both where very sweet my boar I could easily handle same with the sow. My husband didn't want me handling them while pregnant so we sold them since I am the farmer and he works outside of home. We have two kids right now so and this one going be the third. I am looking for a breed for meat that grazes/forages. I also would like it to be under 200 pounds at max weight. I would also like a friendly breed I can already say my kids love pigs they both loved petting them and feeding them. So yeah I been doing alot of research so far I come up with the American guinea hog, and the kunu pig.

The Kunekune (kooneykooney) is an uncommon pig breed from New Zealand kept by the Maoris, I believe the name means "fat & round." Meat is delicious, the breed is docile, pretty, some have tassels or pire pires, some don't. Kunekunes are serious meat production pigs that are personable & affectionate herd animals (you need at minimum TWO Kunekunes for them to be truly content), good with families (love a good scratch), love a mud wallow in summer (kiddy pool?), some are hairier than others (some have short silky hair, others have long coarse curls) & they shed off excess hair for summers, a true grazing pig, cup of grain like oats and some good quality alfalfa hay in winter when there is no pasture...some feed them a pig pellet meant for pot bellies. They like veg and pumpkins and such. I have been ballparked that half an acre pasture land fenced in range panels is adequate for two Kunekunes. I live in Central Alberta, so all beasts and birds here MUST be temperature extreme tolerant which means my Kunekunes need a nice barn full of oat straw to snuggle together in. If I farrow in early spring, safe & secure heat lamps will be a must for the litter to survive in our -40C weather bouts.

I am planning on getting some Kunekunes when my two geriatric Jacob ewes (2003 & 2005) finally pass on and free up one of my barn areas. I wanted them because "I" have visions of the pigs and my Dorpers sharing pasture...not living together mind you, there are plenty of species specific BARNS for night time and feeding, separate mineral/salt locations, but I do want my sheep & porkers to be able to graze together, should I want that. See how it goes. I mean quite frankly, I don't house my stock dogs with my sheep but they get along fabulously.

May 24 2016 IMGP2754.jpg

Depends on the person, depends on the lines, depends on how plentiful your pasture is, depends on far too many obvious situations to say with any firm conviction, Kunekunes will always get along with sheep. I have no affinity for goats, dislike them immensely as they use to bully my Jacobs and literally push the old ones around and had goat daughters bully and beat up their own mothers--I have zero tolerance regarding those behaviours. So for me, can't answer any questions regarding compatibility for goats and other creatures because mine were horrid, as said, even with their own mothers and siblings. I am not a goat person.

July 01 2016 IMGP8371.jpg

Unreal conduct with my sheep and dogs--Jacob wether as interested in kissing the dogs as the dogs are with kissing them. All my sheep love kissing and getting kisses from our Australian Cattle Dogs. Had seven ACDs and near 30 sheep and always kindness, yet when needed to herd, sheep obey the dogs and it is heavenly here. When the lion lays down with the lambs, eh! :-D

NO hands on from me but these three photos intrigued me to want to give keeping Kunekunes a good go!!

ivanleigh farms sep 15 2017.jpg

NOTE, the cattle are separated from the sheep and pigs...but the boars (which are breeding boars) and in with the ewes. This image looks wonderful!

I have Black headed Dorper sheep, these are the white Dorpers.

ivanleigh farms aug 3 2017.jpg

The interactions are quite obvious...the ewes are quite fine with breeding boars, adult ewes AND piglets.

ivanleigh farms aug 25 2017.jpg

Would the ewes allow pigs of any kind near their lambs, likely not. Depends on the situation. But for me, Kunekunes are going to be THE pig breed I start pigs with, for meat, for entertainment, for the love of just having some personable pigs.

There are I believe two registries for Kunekunes in the States...here is a link to one of them. I am just getting my trotters wet on this endeavour but man alive, should be
GOOD!

http://www.americankunekunepigsociety.com/

Here's a society located in New Zealand...country of origin.

http://kunekune.co.nz/

I am not endorsing this person but a rather nice take on their part regarding these wonderful piggies!

http://www.virginiakunekunes.com/aboutkunekunes.htm

Have fun, let us know what breed of pigs you do decide on. We are all always learning.

Hugs,

Tara
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@JACB Dorper So nice to hear from you Tara! Hope you're faring well way up north there. Spring is on the way! Guess I'll see it way down here in TX before you do up there, but in this day & age, I guess that isn't a for sure thing either.

JACB Dorper

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@JACB Dorper So nice to hear from you Tara! Hope you're faring well way up north there. Spring is on the way! Guess I'll see it way down here in TX before you do up there, but in this day & age, I guess that isn't a for sure thing either.

Nice hijack LS! Bought Rick a grader last week, now we gotta find five days to take courses so we get certified! He's fielding calls, "Hey come work here!" and we can do the work, but the offices can't "pay" uncertified businesses...good old gov't red tape. Next project, we clone him...too much work, not enough of him to go round!

Spring, oh crap LS...issue here is we keep HAVING spring show up and melt the snow and get lost again...slipping round on ice, not my fav. Went from -35C to +10C in ONE day, eh. Two seasons, green or white-abhor the inbetweens! o_O

happy V Feb 14 2018 IMGP3428.jpg

Hope you had a happy V day, eh.:love

I'll have to post something more thorough on this list when we get the Kooneys...gonna be an absolute porker BLAST! Hear me squealing? Bwa ha ha...:D

Tara
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well sounds like I am going to be leaning towards kune kunes, and I kinda agree with Tara lol the weather needs to make up its mind I want to start my garden been waiting for it to decided to stay warm before I plant.

Latest posts