Looking for information on goats milk.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'd like to get a milk goat. Hubby wants to know how much fat is in it. He drinks skim milk and the kids and I drink 2%. Is there a way to remove some of the fat from the milk? I know you can make cheese from goats milk, but can you make butter? I'd like a milk cow but I don't need that much every day and they eat so much more.....

We've always had livestock but never goats so I know next to nothing about them. There have been 50 dairies close in NM this year due to hay/feed prices so I'd like to have my own source.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
According to the American Dairy Goat Association website, adga.org (sorry I'm technically a total loss or I'd include the link) says that goat milk averages 3.5% butterfat. I thought there was a handy chart on that website that showed butterfat by breed, but I can't seem to find it right now.

We drink the milk as is and have enjoyed it for years... but that doesn't answer your question regarding removing some of the fat. We did notice when we switched from store bought milk to our goat's milk that the taste was much creamier, and seemed to be much more satisfying.

Since goat milk is naturally homogenized it really doesn't separate, like cow's milk... but you can buy an electric separator. I think they are pricy. You can see electric separators at the hoeggerfarmyard.com website, as well as other websites. You may even be able to find some on ebay.

Or you could look at a smaller breed cow, like the Dexter, which would give you both meat and dairy. We looked at both the Dexter cow and the Nigerian Dwarf goat, again a dual purpose animal, and finally went with the Nigerians. Could not be more pleased with my small goats.

Dexter cows are small, between 36 and 44 inches tall at the shoulder, weigh in between 600 and 800 lbs, and that milk is 4% butterfat... but it is cow milk and will separate.

Not pushing the Dexter, but it is a cute thing. I like my goats for several reasons, but the biggest one is I, at 120 lbs, outweigh all but one of my herd of Nigerian Dwarfs.

Then again it depends on how much milk you need... is your family going through 1 gallon a week, 3 gallons a week, 3 gallons a day? It is just two of us so our goats provide plenty for us, yogurt, cheese, and the occasional treat for the dogs. You may want to look at larger dairy goats, like the Nubian, or LaMancha, or any others. They are all delightful in their personalities.

A couple goats take up less room than even one Dexter.

Besides goats are addictive.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you. I've looked at the Dexters but as we live in the desert all feed will have to be provided and a 120lb goat will eat far less than a 600 pound cow. I'd rather have a cow, but not when hay is up to $400 a ton and rising. We generally drink a gallon of 2% and a gal of skim a week~week and a half.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've always drank skim milk my whole life until I got goats, first time I had the milk I was instantly addicted... the fat percentage didn't matter... it tasted SOOOOO much better than any store milk ever could!

PattySh

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Google raw milk benefits and the positives of drinking raw goats milk vs undigestible store bought milk will make a little fat a mute topic :).

HappyFamilyFarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
we have LaMancha's and we always have to shake the bottle everyday because it seperates some. If you want it reduced in fat then you put the milk in a good pot or pan and let it sit in the refrigerator and then scoop off the cream (fat). You can then use the cream to make cheese and yes butter. Check into a book called Goats provide too. It has a lot of recipes and info for making cheese, desserts and butter.

Oakroot

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I thought we would get nice thick cream on the top of our milk but no luck. Her milk was very rich and high in fat but never separated so it may be a breed thing.

The fat in milk is what helps you feel full and helps regulate the sugar absorption which prevents blood sugar issues with milk. The more fat the less the sugar will effect you.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. Now I just need to find some small goats. I was thinking of getting a couple of Dwarf Nigerians. That way I have more than one for company and off set breeding/milking without being inundated with milk. I was talking to a guy about a mother/daughter pair but he never got back to me with a location/time to check them out.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks. I found some Lamanchas near me. I'd prefer the smaller goats but this breeder is only 10 miles from me and can/will help if I need it.