Looking for Katahdins - Southeast

thethinkingweasel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hello! We are going to be expanding our flock of sheep this year and would like to get some Katahdins from a couple different bloodlines. We are in upstate SC, but could travel as far as VA, NC, GA, or eastern TN to pick up lambs. Does anyone have any breeders to recommend in the southeast region?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just from this forum, and from the pictures and reading all this time, I would suggest getting in touch with @Mike CHS . They have some of the nicest looking well built/proportioned sheep I have seen in awhile. Plus he knows many or most of the breeders in the general area. I do not have Katahdins.
Virginia Tech is where he got a ram that made a big influence on his animals and that ram Ringo, is now at @Baymule 's place in Texas. Disposition is beyond reproach.... @Mike CHS has a new ram now to use on the Ringo offspring.
Have you contacted the Katahdin registry to find breeders in the area you are looking in? I strongly suggest getting in touch with mike for starters.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would strongly second that!! @Mike CHS is a wealth of knowledge and information. He also has worked hard on breeding his sheep and bettering them over the years. He has a journal on here if you care to look thru it...it is very long but a very very good interesting read. Mike is the entire reason I know what a working chute and turn table for sheep is, people where I live just dont use them because there are no large sheep operations within at least 4hrs of me. Get a hold of Mike!

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I gave a little bit of info in reply to your PM. I don't know if you have Facebook but there is a ton of sheep producers on there. Most of those that are in the southeast I know a little about and some of the good and bad things if I can help. The couple I mentioned to you are probably pretty close to you and although they just have commercial sheep, they are knowledgeable and care for their sheep. A large part of what we knew starting came from them.

Some of our registered breeders came out of Athens, Georgia.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes! We speak the truth. Plus Teresa showed me how to do fecals when we were there to get Ringo and it has been a game changer for my flock. We culled 6 ewes (half my flock) to make room for the 7 ewe lambs we kept as replacements. Talked to Howard Covington in Livingston, he is going to a show in Sedalia Mo. so we are going in a couple of weeks to get 2 registered ewe lambs for Ringo's future ladies.

You deserve all the praise for your Katahdins, y'all have put the work and love of what you do into your sheep and everyone knows it. Plus, y'all are just wonderful people and we love both of you. We'll be back in a couple of years for another ram. You just can't shake us off, we keep coming back. LOL LOL

Before anyone hits the panic button on us getting another ram, thinking that we are getting rid of Ringo-don't! Ringo is never going anywhere. I'll buy him new ewes if I have to, he is here forever.