Looking into highlands, advice on starting a herd.

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I generally don't like to start my first post asking a question, but I figured this would be the best way to answer my questions! A little preface about myself. Growing up we would always visit the grandparents farm, ever since than it's been a dream of mine to have a place out in the country and have some animals. Well, my wife and I found small acreage that pretty much fit the bill and were lucky enough to fulfill that dream this last summer, and though were still young, (25), we have big dreams/plans for it! It's only 5 acres, but beggars cant choosers! We have started out with a small flock of guineas, and plan to add a couple of Nigerian goats come springtime. My wife has an animal science degree, and I work in plant science research at the local college. She and I were both on the volunteer surgery team with the local humane society. Since high school I've been helping a friends dad with his cattle, which are red angus. They're actually our neighbors, and we have a good relationship with them. All this to say, that I feel comfortable around livestock, and have a fairly good understanding with how things work.

Howerer, I still have some specific questions regarding what I need to be thinking about starting a herd.

I'm aware that cattle are not a quick way to get rich, but my hope is to grow a small herd, 10-15, and make some money on the side. I'm looking into highlands because they seem a little less maintenance compared to other more common breeds, they taste good, and they're just plain unique. I love how furry they are!

So if i'm starting from zero, what's the best way to start and grow? I figured i'd start by buying two bred cows and then AI until it's worth having a bull around.

I've looked online, but in your experience, what's an average price for a bred cow?

Is it better to feed out a steer and butcher, or sell as a calf?

As I mentioned, we only have 5 acres, with only 2 of it being pasture. It's almost guaranteed we'll have to find some pasture to rent. Until then, we'd have to supplement with hay, is this possible to still be profitable? Hay around us varies from 80-120/ton this year

I guess i'm just looking for some general cattle and general highland advice. I've tried to do the math, but I end up getting lost, as there are a few variables, but it seems it would probably 4-5 years before I hit the break even point.

Thoughts and advice?
Thanks!
We have a local breeder in Eastern Washington near us and they get about 1.80lb for yearlings up from 1.00lb last year. But our hay prices went from $80-$100 tonne to $400-$900 tonne so our meat prices have soared. We’re thinking of feeding them sawdust with molasses except the darn things keep dying! (Bad joke). Your prices will depend on local beef prices. With 2 cow you’re not really in the competition for making money on them but you will produce great beef for your family and friends an may break even. Slaughter and butcher will cost at the end on top of all your other expenses. That’s something we do ourselves but not everyone is equiped.

Latest posts