lump under jaw

cw

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
i was feedin to day and noticed a lump under the jaw of a holstein calve.
my guess is its staph. but i aint sure, i was gettin ready to cut him back on milk replacer to wean him but i guess i need to keep him where he is at, any suggestions?

john in wa

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just had the same thing happen to me. one of my calves got a lump on its jaw. i kept a eye on it for a few days and it got larger. i called the vet out just to be safe. all she done was lance it and flush it out with clean water. this lump kept coming back so next time i went to feed store bought a few scalpel and lanced it my self and flushed it out with a large syringe and water. i then gave her a dose of LA 200 because it is what i had on hand but next time i talked to my vet she said penicillin would of been better. it took well over a month for the lump to really go away.

i guess i should also ask can you move the lump or is it fixed to the bone. if you can move it its most likely a abscess if you cant move it and it feels like its attached to the bone call a vet out. we cut a big X with the scalpel and squeezed all we could get out of it then flushed it out. hope this helps

you can also use a large needle and stick it in and squeeze and see if puss comes out before you open it up.