Lutalyse for goats

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
hello, wondering if anybody has had any experience with using lutalyse for goats to bring them in heat and breed does around the same time. If you could share some knowledge that would be great!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've not. But never needed to as turning the handsome, stinky buck into their field has always been enough. Of course I've got more than a couple does. Call the vet and ask.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lute will not bring them into heat if they are not already cycling. Unless one has say a cyst or something like that. Lute will get a cycling animal to drop the CL on the ovary and to come into heat... it will not work within the first 2-4 days of having had a heat and will only slightly hasten a heat within the last 2-4 days... BUT... if you give it to say 5 does, then 8-10 days later give it to them again, it will HELP to synchronize them to being on the same schedule...
That said, goats are more likely to come into heat like @Mini Horses said with a smelly buck around... since many of the breeds are polyestrus, it is hard to get them to cycle out of the normal time frame in the fall although some breeds are more likely to breed year round. I do know that most sheep breeds are harder to get to cycle out of season... but some do cycle more year round.
I agree to talk to your vet. I do not have any idea of dosages in the smaller animals opposed to the cattle we have.
We do it on occasion in the cattle; although with us having 2 calving seasons, they pretty much all come into heat 45-60 days after calving and get bred back in that time frame. Cattle do cycle 12 months of the year if they are not bred though so manipulating their breeding time is easier...

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, that's a good thing. When I had 6-8, I did hand breeding...exact dates. This year my new buck decided to make his own rules. So dairy girls (and me) found him in their field and I now have a 2 week window for 11. Then exact dates on 9 and unknown dates on 6 bought as group, had been with a buck. Good guess on them. But I do know who and when on all. Several of mine are registered and records kept, registration done as needed/wanted.

When I kept a larger herd, bucks were introduced to a group wearing a marking harness. Taken in and out on set dates, marked does noted. A two week window.

This year will have kids from 3 different bucks in meat group...which was planned to provide kids from other bloodlines as I'm growing the meat herd. The registered stock will be registered kids. The dairy girls were bred to a meat buck to have kids to grow out larger and be sold. Of course to bring the does into milk, for my milking of some.

Meat goats won't be milked beyond some for colostrum and first milk saving. Their lactation is shorter and they dry off well as kids grow. I do save & freeze colostrum & first milk from both groups, in case self or another breeder needs it. Refreshed yearly. Herd management changes somewhat as the numbers grow but, still controlled - just differently.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
My use of lute was only for mares, if unplanned breeding occured....to eliminate a foal happening.