madelynmccabe's Thread: Lets See Everyone's Herd Houses!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
What we call the 'red shed' is just a glorified carport. My original barn is waaaaay to ramshackle to post a pic of, lol. I have built some partitions inside since this pic was taken.

IMG_0038.JPG

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@madelynmccabe I like your houses, very nice. I have a coop too but realized that I have pictures of us building it but none of it done, will have to work on that.

My barn was built while planning on 30 goats and it now houses 40. I have 6 kidding pens and will probably wish for a few more come next March. Nothing is ever big enough. I have to build shelter for my bucks too, I have 6 of those now. :th

I will say that I love my barn, one of the best investments I have made.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother very nice barn and the goats are adorable. But I have to ask, how do you keep the goats from banging the heck out of it. Mine would destroy it in a week. Maybe your goats are just better behaved than mine.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much did that cost to build?

Too much :) I think the barn was about 3500.00. I got free financing from FarmTek. It also has about 500.00 worth of gravel in it for flooring. It is all part of the cost of building the dairy.

I needed to dismantle my old barn area as that is where the dairy was going to be. The old one started out as a 10' center aisle with roofing on each side and then we just kept adding more and more metal roofing as I added more goats. It was functional but very Hodge-podge and always wet and muddy in the winter. So glad it is gone.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Someone asked so here's the hen haciendas. This was with no pop doors and ramps yet, the "trap doors" you see carbinered on the front are the clean outs to rake the coop litter out into the runs. There are similar trap doors on the back that I leave open (covered in hardware cloth and screening) for ventilation. The bird netting never got installed over the runs, though it was purchased and still sits in the garage. The shed in the background is gone. I gave it to a neighbor and it was quite the fiasco getting it onto the back of a flat bed truck and moved across the street into her yard. All the pallets stacked there have been burned and are gone. That's essentially where the barn was going to go for the goats. After this move, I can tell you quite honestly that my next coop(s) will be nowhere near this fancy or extravagant.

Edit to add, this was before I installed the gates to the runs as well.
painted haciendas 12-15-14.JPG

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Latestarter, the bird netting will work in TEXAS ! :p

Baymule, I do the same -- "repurpose" and scrounge. Of late, I have found that I have been painting some shelters as it gives them some continuity and minimizes some of the less than perfect carpentry.

babsbag, I have often thought of a great FarmTek building like that. As you have found, these goats try to climb anything, which includes the sides of those dang hoop houses. Wood pony walls almost a requirement.

Often the buildings we have are dictated by the livestock we keep. In my case, I have some of the carports in fields, some 3 sided run-ins, another 32X32 run in that is four sided, plus a small barn that is rarely used now.....except kidding & milking for the goats. Once my show days with the mini horses was over, the "showiness" of the structures became less.

Of course, I am not in a neighborhood where we need/want to keep things cute & perfect. I've seen chicken coops with curtains on the windows. Wow, no time to wash those. Lucky to sweep the feed room! :lol:

But I love to see them!!!

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Latestarter your chickens are evidently spoiled rotten! I won't show that picture to my chickens for fear of rebellion!

We have a bunch of random buildings and coops that we've built as we get new animals or need to move them. Everything is built to be moved, most of it is on skids. And most of the buildings aren't pretty but they've been mostly free or very cheap. A lot of them were built for the price of the screws holding them together.