Making A Pasture

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule , I am not sure about orchard grass for the summer heat down there. It seems to grow pretty much through our growing season. I would call it more of a cool season grass I guess.
There is a company that sends brochures about different pasture and hay seed mixtures. Let me find it, but I am pretty sure it is King's Agriseeds. They are a little pricey, but if they have any reps in the area, you might get some good advise. Have you tried calling the extension service in your area.... ask if there are any seed companies that have reps in the area? I would think that there should be some. I realize that the local "co-op" would be a source of info, but sometimes the "good ole boys" get stuck in a rut..... and "this is what grandpa grew"...... Find out if there are any summer grazing programs offered by the extension office. Sometimes the feed store will have some type of "sponsors" day where you can just go look at some different offerings by companies in the area.
I have heard that Bermuda is the standard, but that like you have found out, not always the first choice for eating by the animals. You are dealing with such a different climate/heat intensity....
One thing look up "buffalo grass". It is rather low growing, but VERY HEAT AND TRAFFIC tolerant once it gets going. It is supposed to be very adaptable, I had some in Ct when I was living there, yet it is supposed to be good for hot areas too.
If you can go to anything offered by the extension service, like a pasture walk, or grazing school.... you will learn alot about the grasses.....Plus meet some nice people that range from old timers to newbie/homesteader types.
Try Stockman Grass Farmer.... monthly publication. Used to be available at TSC.....You can find it on the internet...probably get a sample copy.... or a phone number that would give you some possible references to talk to in your area.

Orchard grass will reseed if let to go to seed. It is a nice "bladey" grass that is not terribly coarse. It grows fast early in the year, so that is why I am thinking more of a cool season grass. 2nd and 3rd cutting is very well liked by our horse people and for young calves.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if I could plant it in the fall for a winter grass? What is the coldest it will tolerate? While we typically don't have hard winters, we do get down in the twenties, every once in awhile in single digits and it is for a week or two before bounding up in the 40s and 50s again. Rye grass does well in the winter, but is an annual that must be replanted every year.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey, we are how many miles NORTH of you????? We have normal temps in the 20's , teens, and have had below 0 lots of times. We also get snow....that can last on the ground for weeks..... I think it could take your "cold " with no problem. Just not sure if it would be up to all the traffic on it. Rye is planted here all the time for a cover crop, as is wheat and winter oats.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
In your climate isn't orchard grass more of a summer grass and does it go dormant in the winter? I was thinking it might make a good winter/spring grass, then go dormant. Or would it die altogether? :(

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't graze any orchard grass unless it is a volunteer plant at pasture. So I can't tell you about rest time for grazing. Our rotational grazing is about a month at a time for any pastures, but we have some that are quite some size. The one place there are 5 separate fields, and it just depends on the rain, and what it looks like as to when we move them. The pastures get grazed at least twice each over the course of 5-6 months I guess.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
One resource that I have very helpful is hancockseeds.com they are very proud of their seed, but they have great info on grasses in all areas....a really high reseeding rate rye grass is a variety called Big Boss....we grew it back where we were and it did reseed, handled the cold very well and recovered very well with rapid growth....the goats, ducks, and chickens loved it...the deer enjoyed it often....I would allow a section to go to seed and then cut it and when it grew, I let the other areas go to seed....using a the rider, I would blow the dried grass over other areas to spread the seed....this was done in heavy clay soil, so can't say about in the sandy stuff.....the website has tons of info on grasses of all kinds....I've never ordered seed from them....always found it cheaper elsewhere....:)