Making A Pasture

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
15 minutes to 1:00, inside now.
This is the same skyline as the picture taken 3-15-2015. Note the gate post on the left.

View attachment 37809

Panning right... That's the garden fence on the right.

View attachment 37810

This is the same location pictured above where the sheep were enjoying themselves immensely on the green briars. This is where the ewe above was standing on a dead tree branch stretching to reach more snacks.

View attachment 37811

Panning right....

View attachment 37812

This is the fence by the road. Green briars once filled this entire area. We took down the old barbed wire fence and bush hogged with the tractor, then put up the new fence.

View attachment 37813

I walked down the road last fall with my wagon, digging Bermuda and Bahia that escaped under the fence from the wide pasture across the road. Then I sprigged it here. The pigs rooted up and ate all the Bahia rhizomes, there might be one or two very small ones left. The Bermuda enjoyed all the pigs rooting and took off. DH just mowed it. Naturally, the sheep don't want it. :he I'm so damned proud of this teensy patch of Bermuda and the dadburned sheep don't want it? :somad Before it was mowed, it was almost knee deep. Oh well, I guess I'll go dig some more Bahia. :idunno

View attachment 37814
That is extremely spacious... Im really imagining what type of animals I can raise there. I can imagine horses, goats, chickens, chicks, pigs, and even rabbits.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have gotten 5 1/2” of rain over 3 days. There was flash flooding in some areas, but we are high and dry here. Some places got up to 7” of rain! It finally quit yesterday so we walked around on our horse pasture that we are preparing for planting grass in. Our wood chip swales and waste sheep hay are working! VERY little run off and I had to hunt for erosion! This is the biggest washout I found.

205E5F38-C4CA-4A76-8D8E-0C2B5640E246.jpeg

We are happy with the results so far. We have more areas to rake up the mulch and make swales, then cover the soil with waste hay.

89EE6BB9-8D1D-478B-9A9D-91032A8E695D.jpeg

Of course, when Prince saw us walking around, he came running! He was at the hay bale on the pipeline. He ran for the gate, then ran to us, nosing around, wanting attention. You can see Joe in the background, he’s dirty from rolling in wet dirt.

D657AED2-0987-40F7-BE5E-EAB48AD4279C.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You need a flash flood that deposits REAL dirt on your sand :D
Surrounded by sand, I don't know where it would come from. Right down the road is the red dirt that is prevalent here, I'd rather have the sand. We had some erosion on the pipeline, the horses trail to the hay bale is washing out. Since the power line crew is back in the area and bringing us wood chips again, we are going to have them dump several loads on the pipeline, then we'll spread them with the tractor. I'm not going to try to plant grass on the pipeline this year, trying to build up the soil first with the waste hay around the round bale and the abundant horse manure. The wood chips will help hold the soil and add humus. There is an earthen swale, built in 1934 by the C.C.C. that goes across the pipeline, but horses hooves have made a cut in it. Time to fill it in and pack with wood chips. LOL LOL