Making A Pasture

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been so dry here that my sandy ground was like talcum powder. I wouldn’t graze the ewes in the horse pasture because I was afraid their sharp hooves would damage the new Bahia grass. We have FINALLY got rain, not much, but enough to settle the dust. The over growth is about to get away from me, so I have turned the girls out on the horse pasture where they are happily chomping away on weeds. They aren’t grazing the new grass.

The new Bahia isn’t thick, but it is growing and most important—it’s surviving.

28018249-C6F6-45D7-9F9A-9AD0EF1DAB72.jpeg

Lots of browse.

4ABFB9D3-9719-4F29-9F2D-F8B0A7BA16F0.jpeg

We may have to bush hog all the over growth if it gets dry again. I’d rather graze the girls on it!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
It has been so dry here that my sandy ground was like talcum powder. I wouldn’t graze the ewes in the horse pasture because I was afraid their sharp hooves would damage the new Bahia grass. We have FINALLY got rain, not much, but enough to settle the dust. The over growth is about to get away from me, so I have turned the girls out on the horse pasture where they are happily chomping away on weeds. They aren’t grazing the new grass.

The new Bahia isn’t thick, but it is growing and most important—it’s surviving.

View attachment 75568

Lots of browse.

View attachment 75569

We may have to bush hog all the over growth if it gets dry again. I’d rather graze the girls on it!

We see lovely browse, other people see a problem. And that's the good kind of browse....tree sprouts and tender young weeds and shrubs. Perfect for sheep!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have been cleaning out two small areas under the sheep barn roof. The hard pack was a foot deep. BJ used Robert's tiller to break it up a layer at a time. A neighbor kid and I raked and shoveled it into the mule and we spread it over grass in the side pasture and one of the front pastures. Black and crumbly, it will improve the soil. We spread the loose top waste hay over grass too. This coming week, we are going to clean out the main sheep barn, the hard pack in there is not as deep, we cleaned it out more recently LOL. We are going to spread it over Pasture #2.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every little bit helps..... even if it doesn't help your back!!!!
Actually I’m not sore. Tired, but not sore. Poor BJ is whupped. Running that tiller has worn him out. He’s napping now. I’m canning chicken dog food, put up eggplant and froze some tomatoes to can when I get enough. He’s in pretty good shape and so am I, who needs a gym to work out, we are farmers! LOL

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I took a few pictures of pasture #1 where we spread waste hay and Sheep compost. Most of it is too shaded for good grass. We have argued over cutting trees, I swear BJ has them named and numbered. I did get him to let me and our son cut saplings a couple of years ago, we cut over 125 of them. Still plenty left though.

60D92DF1-D402-40D5-8D40-3877C327957A.jpeg

CA2421A7-5B6F-4CB7-8D1E-FB20934D838F.jpeg

DA4FC26C-F144-445F-B4D1-80AA6C5A528E.jpeg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what little I can see, the spacing of the trees looks like what we refer to as "silvopasture" here. There are some more shade tolerant varieties of grasses, unfortunately fescue is one.... but how about good old crab grass? It makes great eating/pasture even if it isn't liked much in the fancy type lawns. Maybe try overseeding in the late summer/fall when it cools off there a little and you are due to get more moisture? The trees may use the moisture but they also protect the ground from being "cooked" from all your hot sun.... so a mixed blessing.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
From what little I can see, the spacing of the trees looks like what we refer to as "silvopasture" here. There are some more shade tolerant varieties of grasses, unfortunately fescue is one.... but how about good old crab grass? It makes great eating/pasture even if it isn't liked much in the fancy type lawns. Maybe try overseeding in the late summer/fall when it cools off there a little and you are due to get more moisture? The trees may use the moisture but they also protect the ground from being "cooked" from all your hot sun.... so a mixed blessing.
Haha, a little too much "silvo" and not enough "pasture" :lol: I had some nice rye grass growing in the shaded areas, but the sheep didn't want it. They wanted the grass growing under full sun. I deduced that the shaded grass didn't have the nutrients or taste of the more preferred sunny grass.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We worked on the big part of the sheep barn. It’s fairly dry and had a loose layer of manure under the loose waste hay latter. We shoveled 6 mule loads into the mule and spread on pasture #2. Pasture #2 is featured on page 1 if this thread. We are plenty tired!

6267B936-67AD-4932-85A4-2BE7E69F9B07.jpeg

There was 4 mule loads of loose dry manure, then had to get the tiller for the last 2 loads to loosen it up. We are tired. There’s more where that came from!

Attachments

• 0A79450C-E139-4939-9B84-6BF512D13267.jpeg
    0A79450C-E139-4939-9B84-6BF512D13267.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 284