Male female interactions

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Ive definitely had a problem with a rabbitry I've bought rabbits from. They almost never sell me the correct sex. I got 2 new "does" yesterday. One was for sure female as they said has already had litters. My buck successfully mated with her but i think she may already be pregnant. She built a nest but hasn't pulled fur. The other i bought was supposed to be a doe. I put her with my buck but she just runs around and my buck doesn't try as hard to mount her if in fack she is a doe. I thought maybe she was a buck since this happens to me all the time. I decided to put her in the other new does area to see what would happen. The for sure doe attacked the one im not sure about. Does that mean they are both for sure does? The one that is for sure is reddish. The one im not sure about is black. The reddish is not aggressive with my buck but tries to get away

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The black one wasn't agressive toward the reddosh doe but just tried to escape the aggression. Im very new to this and am ignorant about rabbits.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your "for sure" doe may be protecting her space....check to see if the other is a male....
Hold him close to you tummy side up, hold tail down, put a little pressure on his /hers "button" , if it pops out its a male, you may need a little more push if its young to get a pop up from a male.
Personally I would find another supplier of rabbits.

Gary

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If i put my buck in her area and she doesnt go after him, would that be a sign that the black one is a doe? I know this is rediculous but i did try to see if black had testicles and i didnt find any but ive been fooled before. As far as where im getting them, i just haven't found another place near me

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
If i put my buck in her area and she doesnt go after him, would that be a sign that the black one is a doe? I know this is rediculous but i did try to see if black had testicles and i didnt find any but ive been fooled before. As far as where im getting them, i just haven't found another place near me

Gary, don't look for testicles, in the heat they pull in...look for a penis....turn him over and find it ...if you can't ....and it looks like a "taco" it's a doe, lol

Last edited:

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score

You can find some good breeders on CL, and ask them how long they have had rabbits and what part of florida the rabbits are from....
You can look up rabbit breeders in florida on the internet......
I sell nice NZ rabbits and when I sell them I use CL.....

Last edited:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with @B&B Happy goats ...check for a penis! That's the only way to know for sure. If you're not sure exactly what to look for when sexing a rabbit, there are tons of youtube videos you can watch to learn :)
Most does won't get along with each other but they will also run away from a male/fight them when they don't want to be bred...my does all do that when they're not ready for breeding.