Mama hen abandoned eggs

Kinii

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have a broody hen that I was letting sit on some eggs. Some of her eggs were further along than others when I found her broody.

She had two chicks earlier and was doing fine but when I got back from town I found her off the nest with the hatched babies under her, I'm assuming they flopped out of the nest (only a few inches off the ground) and she prioritized them.

The unhatched eggs were slightly cold to the touch. I had little hope but I candled them and saw movement, these eggs don't look more than fourteen days along. I tossed them in my incubator immediately, which was already up and running.

Is it possible for these eggs to make it or should I even try? I'm not even sure how long mama was off the nest for.

eggbert420

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yes , they have a good chance of making it.

Pyxis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Yep, there's a pretty decent chance that they're going to do well. With them cooling off for an unknown amount of time, they may hatch a little late, but chances are high they will still hatch fine.

Kinii

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
That's really such a relief. I got the incubator up and running just in case she gave up on the unhatched eggs but it's just my luck she hops off them while I'm in town.

mustangrooster

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yep, they should be ok. Once my incubators power was off for 3 hours (That's me letting the eggs cool for a couple of minutes then forgetting to turn it back on :rolleyes:) they hatched, a little late but they still hatched.

Good luck!

Latest posts