Margali's Griffin Wood Ranch

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hattie's ram lamb Righty is still getting a long and eating okay. The bad eye is actually getting bigger and bulging out from his head. So I'm torn about taking him to vet or putting him down now.

View attachment 105141View attachment 105142
I see no benefit to putting him down. He can be freezer meat. If he is not walking around shaking his head, rubbing it on something, or otherwise acting like it is distressing him in any way, let it alone, let him eat and grow... it could burst open, but if he doesn't act like it is a problem, there is no good reason to put him down. Not to be crude, but the eye is a long way from the lamb chops... it is not going to hurt the eating quality of the meat unless you use antibiotics close to a kill date, type of thing. Then just have to wait for withdrawal... if it bursts or something, then a vet visit might be warranted. At this point, a vet bill will more than likely NOT result in much improvement... and he could be a breeder for you, or someone that knows you and your sheep well, otherwise he is meat. Honestly, close to the easter holiday, the eye would have little effect on kill price either.
Does he react to any movement on that side of his head... close the eye or show any reaction to you moving your hand near it?

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
RIP Righty. I picked him up to check on him and he was just ribcage. Running fever and wheezing. His entire face was swollen so infection was rampant even with antibiotics.

Hattie can concentrate on the remaining twin. He'll grow well with all her milk and I'll be able to sell him as an excellent registered ram.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for that. He looked pretty good in the pictures, never would have thought he was running that sort of an infection, through his body. You did the right thing if he was in that sort of shape. I commend you for that hard decision and doing it because it was right. You are right, the other lamb will do well and the ewe will get another chance and that is sadly, all part of it...
Bless your heart.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Running fever and wheezing. His entire face was swollen so infection was rampant even with antibiotics.
He looked pretty good in the pictures, never would have thought he was running that sort of an infection, through his body.
Just like humans the sinuses run to the eyes as well as the ears (and horns in goats). If there was an eye infection in the back of the eye leading to the sinuses he could have contracted pneumonia without any other signs.

Such a shame but you did everything you could. :hugs

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Worked on ram / quarantine pen last night. It's easy to see how much ground slopes in this picture. Do you like my leveler?
P_20240228_182221.jpgP_20240228_182232.jpg