Meat Lambs

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What do you all typically sell your meat lambs for?
I have had a lot of inquiries about the couple that I have for sale, and when I tell them the price, they run away.
Trying to figure out if people in my area are cheap, or I am asking way to much.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are you asking for them? Live or slaughtered? So far, I have marketed mine as slaughtered at $10 per pound, 10 pound minimum. What a PITA. I ran an ad recently on a local FB page and made 3 sales. Later I contacted them for purchase of live lambs, we had a slaughter date and would take them to be processed, buyer to pick up meat and pay for processing. One bought a lamb at $175, I had sold 3 larger lambs for $200 live weight. That worked for me a whole lot better. The same lady that bought the lamb for $175, bought 2 Cornish Cross chickens, dressed, for $6 per pound and later ordered 4 more that I'll have by the end of September. There is an auction nearby where they sell goats and sheep by the head. We took 4 culls there and I was satisfied with what we got for them. I think moving forward I will try to market live lambs taken to slaughter or just take them to auction.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
What are you asking for them? Live or slaughtered? So far, I have marketed mine as slaughtered at $10 per pound, 10 pound minimum. What a PITA. I ran an ad recently on a local FB page and made 3 sales. Later I contacted them for purchase of live lambs, we had a slaughter date and would take them to be processed, buyer to pick up meat and pay for processing. One bought a lamb at $175, I had sold 3 larger lambs for $200 live weight. That worked for me a whole lot better. The same lady that bought the lamb for $175, bought 2 Cornish Cross chickens, dressed, for $6 per pound and later ordered 4 more that I'll have by the end of September. There is an auction nearby where they sell goats and sheep by the head. We took 4 culls there and I was satisfied with what we got for them. I think moving forward I will try to market live lambs taken to slaughter or just take them to auction.
Live, I have been asking 250, and am willing to negotiate. If they offered 200 I would take it. They want them for 150. and at that much I'll just put it in my own freezer .

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What would they bring at auction? At $250, how much meat will they get? Add processing on top of that, what does that come to per pound? When it's all said and done, how does that compare to grocery store price for beef? You have to be competitive in pricing. If $150 is the going rate, then maybe you should price yours at $175. How many lambs do you have to sell for meat? Where have you advertised? In my area, people are interested in the animal's welfare, what it ate, how it was raised, etc. In many areas, price is the determining factor. A happy, sleek, well fed and cared for animal means nothing if pork chops are on sale that week for $1.29 a pound.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We only sell to a few repeat buyers and take to the butcher but most of ours goes to the auction. We charge live weight at whatever the going price is for prime. That has been anywhere from $1.30 to $1.65 a pound and for those we take to process, the seller pays for processing and picks it up. There are a lot of sheep producers in our area so nobody gets the big $ but sales are easy.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are buying a ram lamb for $300 and ewe lambs for $175 tomorrow. When I sell my ram lambs, I'll be asking $300 as well. I've reserved one for a family member and will charge him the $300 but they won't be having any butchering costs....they will come out here we we butcher our own and we'll kill it, skin and send him home with his carcass to do on his own.

I don't really factor in butchering costs when contemplating selling the lambs. This year I'll be asking $300 for my ram lambs just like I'm paying. If that's how much I'm paying, that's how much I'm selling for. If you have something good to offer, don't back down off your price. If you don't get the price you want from individuals, you can always take it to a sale barn and get what current market prices are paying.

Lamb for eating is pricey here too, but that's lamb that's grass fed, already slaughtered and in nice packaging in the store. If we could sell at those prices we'd all be rich! Lamb is not a meat most people like around here nor will they pay huge amounts to eat it, so I'm selling best ram lambs as potential breeders and the rest go for slaughter, either here on the land or to the sale barns when they reach the right market size.

When I get my stock to a better quality and my pasture is better, I'll try to market my grass fed and finished lambs to a local butcher shop and try to be able to supply him fresh lamb as he needs it. It's easier to hold over lambs when you have a pasture based system.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We sell our butcher lambs(8-12 weeks old) for $150.

As far as the "going price" that varies hugely based on where you look and who you are dealing with. Lambs in my area are priced $75-350, depending where you look and breed. Little mutt sheep bred in betty's back yard on the side are $75-100. Purebred meat breeds bred by ex-4hers are $350. Lambs bred by actual lamb farmers in large numbers, are usually $150-200.

Current auction price is $1-1.75/lb live weight.

I have found FB is usually higher priced then say craigslist as well in my area. We are sort of split some people dont give a toot about the raising others want non-gmo non-soy pasture raised non-medicated, etc. Atm i have a listing up for chickens $4/lb completely processed and in 2mil thick heat shrink bags, not a single inquiry. It's fine though we will have a lot of chicken which im happy about.

What would they bring at auction? At $250, how much meat will they get? Add processing on top of that, what does that come to per pound? When it's all said and done, how does that compare to grocery store price for beef? You have to be competitive in pricing. If $150 is the going rate, then maybe you should price yours at $175. How many lambs do you have to sell for meat? Where have you advertised? In my area, people are interested in the animal's welfare, what it ate, how it was raised, etc. In many areas, price is the determining factor. A happy, sleek, well fed and cared for animal means nothing if pork chops are on sale that week for $1.29 a pound.

Very true!! We had people lined up for butcher pigs, then the local place started running pork for $1.19/lb for a special 3 week sale and 2 of the 3 backed out. I dont blame them even ribs and pork loin were $1.29/lb, and family pack chops were $1.36/lb but BOGO.

WolfeMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have to agree with you on that. If lambs go for $300, why are idiots trying to beat you down on price to $150.
exactly what I wondered. I mean i know I dont have an established customer base, and Im kind of new to the business. But I have good solid lambs that are large and healthy. The stuff that is going for 150$ they are under weight and look sick and boney. Why should I let my good quality go for lower. If i cant sell him I will put him in my freezer .