Medicating a rabbit

momofonly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Unfortunately, my English angora has a recurring case of the "sniffles". This is her third round of antibiotics, and this time I have to medicate her for a whole month. She is OK about taking her eyedrops, but she hates taking the oral antibiotics. She seems to be more stubborn this time than the last two rounds- maybe she's just sick of it!

When I try to put the eyedropper in her mouth, she flinches and keeps her mouth shut tight. I hold her head but she still moves and fights me on it. I've managed to get it in her mouth each time, but it takes a lot of wrestling. She got really mad and even tried to bite me tonight!

She is a pet who gets handled a lot, and can be sweet, but stubborn!

I was also giving her BeneBac paste by mouth, but then I realized I could just put it on her greens and she'll eat it. Obviously, that won't work with watery liquid antibiotics.

So how do you all medicate your rabbits? Also, I was thinking, what do you rabbit breeders do about vet care? It cost me $100 for this last trip to the vet- no way would I be able to afford that for dozens of rabbits! Is there some sort of wholesale medicine that you buy?

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
momofonly said:
Unfortunately, my English angora has a recurring case of the "sniffles". This is her third round of antibiotics, and this time I have to medicate her for a whole month. She is OK about taking her eyedrops, but she hates taking the oral antibiotics. She seems to be more stubborn this time than the last two rounds- maybe she's just sick of it!

When I try to put the eyedropper in her mouth, she flinches and keeps her mouth shut tight. I hold her head but she still moves and fights me on it. I've managed to get it in her mouth each time, but it takes a lot of wrestling. She got really mad and even tried to bite me tonight!

She is a pet who gets handled a lot, and can be sweet, but stubborn!

I was also giving her BeneBac paste by mouth, but then I realized I could just put it on her greens and she'll eat it. Obviously, that won't work with watery liquid antibiotics.

So how do you all medicate your rabbits? Also, I was thinking, what do you rabbit breeders do about vet care? It cost me $100 for this last trip to the vet- no way would I be able to afford that for dozens of rabbits! Is there some sort of wholesale medicine that you buy?
Can't help you on the cost, my fiance owns a vet clinic. :love Most rabbit people will kill a rabbit with snuffles.

With a 3ml syringe, lift her lip and slide it in the gap between her front and back teeth. Diagonally - pointed towards her throat. You can hold her mouth closed (hold her enitre head) with her other hand if she's a biter.

Another option is to have the medicine flavored, I've heard that rabbits LOVE boysenberry flavor. :) One of my rabbits loved the medicine (unflavored). She would run to the front of the cage and lick it off the syringe, lol.

If the "cherry bomb" (sorry, don't remember the real name) doesn't work, I believe baytril is the next option. You can shoot off an email to Dr. Jay Hreiz, VMD to verify. I had one rabbit that was not 100% after 3 weeks of cherrybomb. Getting Baytril compounded into a flavored liquid was going to be $300 or $400 - and that is cost, no markup! Heck no! The rabbit got better by itself just a couple days later.

Now I will cull if a) the rabbit has no particular value b) the rabbit doesn't not respond to 3 weeks of cherrybomb c) the rabbit's eyes, ears are affected or it gets an abcess. My line is very pausterella resistant, and I try to make good breeding choices to keep or improve that resistance.

momofonly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Actually, she is on Baytril. I hope it works this time!

I ddin't think to look for the gap in the teeth- I'll have to try that.

Thanks for the advice. :)

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When did you get your last shipment of hay? I have had EAs that have allergic reactions to certain plants. This would account for the reoccurance. Just a thought. I have a buck ... awsome producer baby & wool ... that cannot be on this property during Sunflower production time. We ship him over to mom's rabbitry! And yes, we have that many sunflowers to cause a reaction for him and me!

You can pill a rabbit through the gap ... just push! Do it all the time. But the best way to treat is via injection. This is the best way not to affect the gut & digestion...

Our best luck with URI issues has been with dog strength Orbax. 1 - 66 tablet once daily for 10 days. If this does not kick it ... sorry bunny. But ... did they swab/culture and make sure it is sniffles? Or is this an educated guessing game?

momofonly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I've been using the same bale of hay since I got her. It's stored in big tupperware type containers. With one animal, it lasts a long time. I've had her since September 2010.

I think it is an educated guessing game. If the anitbiotics don't work, then I think it will be time for lab tests.