Methods of euthanesia?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge as far as i know those are restricted. Now I know with cats you can use children's benadryl to make them sleep. (Vet advice for a cat who gets sever car sickness)

Niele da Kine

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hmm, benadryl sound hopeful, thanks JF101!

Is there a liquid form? Guess I can go look that up. Not sure how to get a sick rabbit to eat benadryl. If the rabbit were sleeping, then other methods of euthanasia (if necessary) would be less traumatic.

I'm guessing cats and rabbits are closer than we think, although they have entirely different diets. Cat flea medicine can be used on rabbits and folks who are allergic to cats are frequently also allergic to rabbits.

I'm back again - didya miss me? I looked it up, isn't the internet amazing? Here's a snippet:

Diphenhydramine

Brand name: Benadryl

Antihistamine
It can treat pain and itching caused by insect bites, minor cuts, burns, poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac when applied topically. In its oral form, it can treat hay fever, allergies, cold symptoms, and insomnia. In its injected form, it can treat severe allergic reactions, motion sickness, and symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

It says it treats insomnia in it's oral form, so one would suppose that's where getting them to sleep would happen. Just have to figure out how to get it in the rabbit, I guess. The oral form would be a tablet or a liquid? If it's a liquid, then a syringe without a needle on it should work.

Last edited:

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok, found a possible hit. Acepromazine can be bought from this site https://dogandcatpharm.com/acepromazine/ without a prescription and there is an injectable version. This site https://www.researchservices.umn.ed...esearch-support/guidelines/anesthesia-rabbits has this "A tranquilizer or sedative such as Acepromazine (0.25-1.0 mg/kg IM) can also be used prior to catheter placement to help decrease the rabbit’s stress level." in there. I know Ace is used in horses to knock them out for things like farrier and vet visits. Might be able to overdose it to get them really out of it.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Currerntly, if someone has an uncurable debilitating disease that is going to get increasingly painful, what are their options?

That's what hospice is for. As a former hospice nurse, I can tell you that there's never been a single patient we weren't able to get out of constant pain...and that's patients with a wide array of painful conditions. There are meds available for that and, here in America, end of life care is provided for via Medicare, Medicaid and there's even nonprofit hospice organizations that will take patients with no insurance at all....I worked for just such a hospice.

Before anyone asks or assumes, no, hospice does not give so much morphine that it kills a person...we just don't have access to the type of morphine that would "put someone to sleep". We do, however, have access to the kind of meds and morphine dosages that can get people out of pain and discomfort to such a degree that they are not suffering unto death.

What you see in the movies and carefully constructed propaganda is geared towards making the general populace believe that euthanasia is a wonderful thing and seemingly the only recourse for those with painful, terminal conditions but that's just a lie. It's just murder, plain and simple. If the patient wants it, it's just assisted suicide. If the patient isn't competent to choose it, it's just murder.

It's a very convenient way to work us all towards legalize murder of the elderly or handicapped individuals that family no longer want.