Mild Mastitis Treatment?

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a 6 yr old doe (9 weeks fresh) who I am milking. She has been battling staph bumps on the udder (using hibiclens before and after milking) and it is getting better but not gone. Now, this am, her right side of her udder felt pretty empty and I couldn't get much out. Toniight, I did the CMT test, and she tested negative in the left, but slight positive in the right. I made up some udder balm quick from vaseline, peppermint oil, and cloves and rubbed her down good with that.

So...now what? I will give her milk to the goat kids, instead of us drinking it, until this is resolved. I have LA 200, should I treat her with a round of that? Does she need ToDay?

Thanks!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Feed her back her milk from that udder, at least 20cc. I would also use peppermint oil on her udder. If you want to do it naturally, I would go on Fir Meadows website and see what she suggests. You do want to treat it and get it cleared up before it gets worse.

RainySunday

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Interesting, feed the milk to her? I haven't heard that before. What is the purpose/theory behind that? (No snark or anything, promise, just curious).

vegaburm

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Kat at Fir doesn't recommend the feed the milk back method, though I have read that. Her Mammareze product has been awesome here. She also sells a herbiotic salve and oral herbs that can help. we have resolved udder issues here with those products very well.

Latest posts