Milking Boers?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I clip their collar to the fence, making sure the head is as high as it can go under tension so they can't lower it. Obviously a milk stand would hold them by the head, so much safer with respect to horns. But they can still kick out/up/back/fwd... all around and some choose to lay down... You may have to tie down the rear legs by the hocks to the milk stand as well, at least initially, until she figures out that you're not trying to kill her and that you're not going to give up/give in/stop.

BCBunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I milk both a Boer doe and a Toggenburg. In all honesty I prefer milking my Boer. She tolerates it better (my Togg likes to kick where the Boer just sighs and figures if she stops fighting it will be over sooner), the flavor is milder (my in laws think it's cows milk), and she gives more with less effort. I keep kids on them full time, but for nearly the same amount of milk I milk the Boer in the morning and the Togg twice a day. The Boer was a second fresherner with a singleton and my Togg was a first freshener with a singleton. We bought a used clipping stand and built a feeder to go in front of it. That was our least expensive and less back breaking option. Maybe check local 4-h youths for a used stand if you want to keep on with milking. I second the mason jars for milk storage, and I even milked into the jars in a pinch. Good luck milking and keep us updated on how it goes.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome back @BCBunnies :frowBeen a Looooooooooong time since your 1st post! :ep How would you describe the flavor of the Togg milk? I ask because many have stated (categorically) that Togg milk has a very strong "goaty" flavor. I've never tasted it so have no idea. I have had Lamancha and Nigie milk. Both were just fine to me :idunno

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
... You may have to tie down the rear legs by the hocks to the milk stand as well, at least initially, until she figures out that you're not trying to kill her and that you're not going to give up/give in/stop.

I had to LOL at that comment! The goats are definitey over the top with their reactions to just about everything! So much fun trying to trim hooves or give meds or whatever. :rolleyes: I still enjoy them, though!

I milk both a Boer doe and a Toggenburg. In all honesty I prefer milking my Boer. She tolerates it better (my Togg likes to kick where the Boer just sighs and figures if she stops fighting it will be over sooner), the flavor is milder (my in laws think it's cows milk), and she gives more with less effort. I keep kids on them full time, but for nearly the same amount of milk I milk the Boer in the morning and the Togg twice a day. The Boer was a second fresherner with a singleton and my Togg was a first freshener with a singleton. We bought a used clipping stand and built a feeder to go in front of it. That was our least expensive and less back breaking option. Maybe check local 4-h youths for a used stand if you want to keep on with milking. I second the mason jars for milk storage, and I even milked into the jars in a pinch. Good luck milking and keep us updated on how it goes.

Thanks for chiming in! That's all really great to know, especially that it fools your ILs. My children have already begun complaining that they don't think they'll like goats' milk. :barnie So, the milder the better! Also a good tip on the used stand from 4H. Thanks again!

I'm thinking I'll test the does for CL, CAE, Johnes, Brucellosis, and TB. Perhaps I'll split the difference and have the vet run the TB (since I'm pretty sure only they can do it?), and then I'll draw the other samples and send them off, depending on the price difference. Darn vet charged me $100 more this past week for dog meds than what 1800PetMeds is selling the same thing for. Kind of ticked me off. I mean, I get that they mark stuff up, but $100?!? Plus they're vaccinating for like 75% more than what I can get the shots for at the feed store. Maybe need to find a new vet... :duc

In other news, the does are due mid-April, but only one really looks to me like she's pregnant. I'll post pics soon to get ya'lls take.

BCBunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry for the wait on the post, and thanks for the welcome back @Latestarter

The Togg milk definitely had a little more flavor, but nothing like I was expecting based on info online. We feed a good horse quality coastal hay and they get turned out to good green average Texas pasture. I think the taste of the Togg milk is mostly if they eat stronger flavored food. Such as I've seen her favor dandelions when they creep to the edge of the pasture. She wasn't in milk then, but I'm sure as many as she would eat, they would have imparted some flavor.
Right now I'm milking out another Boer doe, second freshener with a singleton. Got an easy pint off of her on day 2 after having the buckling. I will be milking her once a day, since she is my wild doe and a hard catch. She stood like a perfect lady to be milked though for the first time trying her. Maybe she was playing nice hoping we would let her go sooner, or is saving antics for later.
We are saving her milk for a couple of Nubian bottle babies, so I can't comment on taste of her milk yet. She did seem to have creamier milk than any I had previously milked.