Milking goats/nursing kids - Questions

Eroc1_1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have been reading through Storey's book on Raising Dairy Goats. I have a few questions and I am weighing the pros and cons of having dairy goats on our new place.

My question concerns milking times and intervals. I know that you have to be consistent with whatever time interval you choose ( 12, 8/16, 10/14). I thought I read that someone milked in the morning and then let the kid nurse in the evening. Is that ok or a very bad idea? The authors pointed out that it is better to bottle feed than to let them suckle so that they will be easier to handle as adults and you know how much they are actually getting.

Also, are there breeds that are more prone to birthing issues than others. The authors wrote that 95 out of 100 births are free of issues. True or false?

Thank you for your help and answers in advance.

Eric

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
There are as many ways to handle your particular situation as there are goats.

We bottle raise 99% of our kids. I have a lot of reasons for doing it - like friendly kids, disease prevention, etc.... but I LIKE doing it, too.
An advantage I didn't even realize until I did let a doe raise her kids - like you said, I *know* when I'm feeding them that they ate. W/ a dam, I worry and fret and check on them a lot more than I do 'my' kids.

I've never milked a doe who was nursing kids but read here often of folks who do.
Some folks let the kids have all / most of the 1st 2-3 mos. worth of milk and then start milking.

You can adjust things to fit your schedule, the key really is consistency. So you could pull the kids at night, milk in the am, and then let the kids nurse all night or vice versa, so long as you do the same thing every day / at roughly the same times.

We milk at 8am and 4-5pm. Some folks say that the 12-12 milking schedule is best, but I don't want to be in the barn at 8pm if I can help it....and we have does who produce 8# plus so I'm happy with our schedule.

Our Nubians and Toggs spit kids out like nothin'. My Obs have had some kidding issues, but now that I've got some new bloodlines, I'm HOPING that's over.

I can't recommend goats enough....the milk is divine, the company wonderful, and the feeling of accomplishment is priceless.

Eroc1_1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
There are as many ways to handle your particular situation as there are goats.

We bottle raise 99% of our kids. I have a lot of reasons for doing it - like friendly kids, disease prevention, etc.... but I LIKE doing it, too.
An advantage I didn't even realize until I did let a doe raise her kids - like you said, I *know* when I'm feeding them that they ate. W/ a dam, I worry and fret and check on them a lot more than I do 'my' kids.

I've never milked a doe who was nursing kids but read here often of folks who do.
Some folks let the kids have all / most of the 1st 2-3 mos. worth of milk and then start milking.

You can adjust things to fit your schedule, the key really is consistency. So you could pull the kids at night, milk in the am, and then let the kids nurse all night or vice versa, so long as you do the same thing every day / at roughly the same times.

We milk at 8am and 4-5pm. Some folks say that the 12-12 milking schedule is best, but I don't want to be in the barn at 8pm if I can help it....and we have does who produce 8# plus so I'm happy with our schedule.

Our Nubians and Toggs spit kids out like nothin'. My Obs have had some kidding issues, but now that I've got some new bloodlines, I'm HOPING that's over.

I can't recommend goats enough....the milk is divine, the company wonderful, and the feeling of accomplishment is priceless.
Roll Farms, thank you very much for your help. I have wanted goats for a long time but never the space or property to do it....that is changing now. I am a bit nervous about doing it. But there is only one way to really learn....

Since it would pretty much be me and maybe our daughters doing this I am kinda waffling a little. For milking, with my current work schedule, it would be 'easier' to milk in the morning and let the kids nurse at night....but that could change at any time.

I am currently thinking of either Nubians or Saanens.

BTW, I went to a college out near Marion, IN but that has been a few years ago.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I vote Nubians if you want the best tasting milk....Can't beat it. Plus...I like the floppy ears / personalities of the Nubs.

Shame you're not still around here, I could mentor you....and sell you goats. ;)

wannacow

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Eroc1_1, I was in the same boat as you. I went to visit a woman about an hour from me that has goats and a soap business. I went to learn and she helped alot. I ended up buying her nubian already in milk plus another bottle fed doeling, a couple months later. (She was selling out of all except LaManchas.) I am so glad I did! Apple let me milk her without any problems at her old farm. After I bought her, I found she can be a little "passive/aggressive", but we learned together. What fun we have had! Apple wants me in her sights and gives me special "goat kisses". I loved feeding the doeling and she is now my special pal. I never have to put a leash on her to take her to the pasture. She goes wherever I want. I added 2 saanens in July. They were both dam raised and were very skittish for quite awhile, although they were tame at their previous owner's place. They have since warmed up to me, but they really have minds of their own and have to be taken to pasture on a leash.

As for milking, I set up the 12 hr schedule of 8a/8p. That is what works for me. Apple finally adjusted and did very well on that schedule. There was 1 night that I was unable to be home at milking time. I was still 3 hrs away, so I instructed DD12 how to milk over the phone. Apple let her, and DD did very well. Ever since then, she could help me milk if I needed. That was wonderful as I couldn't always be there. It's been a great learning year. Now, Apple and the oldest saanen are at the breeder's so we will start a new chapter in our learning... KIDDING!!! :celebrate Can't wait.

Eroc1_1

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Roll farms said:
I vote Nubians if you want the best tasting milk....Can't beat it. Plus...I like the floppy ears / personalities of the Nubs.

Shame you're not still around here, I could mentor you....and sell you goats. ;)
It is a shame.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
I do both. I sometimes have to bottle feed sick babies or care for sick mamas. I often bottle feed the bucklings and let the mamas nurse their doelings. That way the bucklings can be wethered and sold as pack goats. If I don't wether the bucklings they are MUCH easier to handle as breeding studs.

I usually pen the babies at night at about one month and then bottle feed them in the morning after milking and put them back with mamas in the daytime so mamas get milked once a day. AT three months they get fully weaned and mamas get milked twice a day.

The mothers with the strongest maternal instinct are allowed to raise their youngun's. Nature made them to be mothers. I do NOT interfere with Mother Nature. Those mothers teach the other herd mothers to be better mothers. I still milk them twice a day. Surprise, surprise. I may not get a LOT of milk, but they often give me some of the best milk and are my best foster moms. I give the babies a small bottle once in a while. I give them raisins and treats and pet them and let them up on the milk stand. Those are my healthiest babies. They are weaned at about 3 months old. Usually by their own mothers.

Chaty

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I agree...some I bottle raise and some I dont. I milk once a day when mine are in milk and let the babies have momma till bed time. I then pen the babies where they cant nurse and momma gets milked in the mornings and the babies eat their grain without the older goats getting it. I then let the babies out with the mommas and this works for me as the babies dont nurse during the night. Well they dont here. I think its what ever works for you.