1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Mini-Donkey VS Standard Donkey

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Horses, Mules, and Donkeys' started by Shoofly, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Aug 31, 2015
    Shoofly

Shoofly Just born

Hey all! I have just adopted a 6 month old standard donkey Jennett. She is sweet as pie and I am very excited.

Because I am a first time equine owner I want to make sure my donkeys have the BEST little lives and have enough food and plenty of space. The Jenny is a standard size and I can either adopt another full-size Jenny OR I have an option to purchase a Mini-donkey Jack as her companion. I am so torn!!

Does anyone have any preference as to Standard size donkeys vs Minis?? Is there a significant difference other than size? For instance, because I have a small area for them to graze on, I wondered if getting the mini would help the grass recover--I would like it not to turn into a dirt pit if you know what I mean. :)
    Or maybe minis eat just as much as the standards do?? Also, I know the males can be more agressive and bray more--does anyone have a preference to male/female?? Sorry for all the questions, but this is a life event for me! I want to make sure I am making informed decisions!!

By the way, here is the setup I have for them:
    I have a wonderful area for the donkeys--about 2,000 square footage of grass and shade that I am currently having fenced. It has a little stable and a lot of grass on one side and a beautiful shady stand of bamboo on the other end.

Hope this helps. I am super excited, but want to make sure I give these donkeys a wonderful life. Thanks in advance for any help, advice and tips!

Monica