Mini Horses vs Mini Donkeys

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I reccomend mini horses...because I own one. They are wonderful lil animals..quiet,and alot of love to give. But you MOST work with it or it will go wild...lol and they can sometimes be mean*depending on temperment) and they need to be put in check or they will walk all over you(just like any other animals!). I would reccomend getting a pair. you wouldnt want it getting lonely. And mini donkeys are louder...and can be more mean(at least at my experience). Plus with minis,they are great for small children,can be broke to ride and drive,and you can do a vareity of things with them. And you can even start showing yours if you want too! And most are cheaper,and many people breed them. They are very easy keepers. They tend to get fat easily,so dont give much hay. Make sure you get yours from a reputable breeder!!

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh ya...heres the website link to where I got my mini. They have QUALITY minis for cheap(if you get a foal). Mine was $400.
http://www.freewebs.com/taxesacres/
I saw you were in PA...this place is in OHio. Not that far.
Just thought I would share. :) Any questions feel free to message me!

sterlng&sierra

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Little mini "hee haws" are so cute though! :love I love mini horses too, they get into all kinds of mischief!
What mini bray? Good heavens, minis bray bigger than a barn!

We had a mini jack named Peppy. Brayed at 6:30 AM every day, 365 days a year, even changed for the time changes! Better than a rooster. He'd have done fine with goats, however the donkeys are stinkers. I'd go with a mini horse for the first time around, just be careful what you feed so it doesn't founder or get too fat ;).

havencroft

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sounds like naturally everyone "recommends" what they like and have, which is logical and good.
I will jump on that band wagon,
we raise and show miniature horses and love them.
So they get my vote.
We really enjoy these little ones and find them to be great fun to drive.
Pasturing minis 24/7 can be a problem for some especially in the spring. I do watch and pull back to a drylot (or the weight watchers yard) any that I think are getting too heavy.

Other expenses are similar, as far as farrier, worming and vet work goes.

Our horses are not "flighty" but they are also well handled from birth, they love it when visitors come to see them and wait anxiously for their turn for petting and scratches.

They are quiet and easy to handle, they do prefer not to be alone, but I know quite a few who adapted well with regular daily attention, training and exercise.
Different personalities and individuals make a difference they just aren't "all the same".
email me if you have questions about minis.

JMHO
Anne

Imthe momma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a mini horse and a goat.I read that they make good companions. I also heard that donkeys are great protecters for chickens. Do ya have any chickens? :)

havencroft

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We also have chickens, that are allowed to free range at least when the weather is nice without any problems.
We raise and show our minis, so we are careful about goats though I have also raised pygmy goats with the miniature horses successfully. Some people have complained that the goats will chew off tails etc. on the little horses.
That wouldn't work well for the show ring.