Mini llamas?

Henrietta23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Today at a local farmers' market they held a fiber festival. One of the exhibitors raises pygora goats and mini llamas. I'm new to the whole idea of herd animals. I've always wished I could have llamas but didn't think I had the space. Now I find there's such a things as mini llamas! Anyone have any information or experience?
Thanks!

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
never heard of mini llamas....i think of alpacas as a sort of mini llama but there are some definate differences. now i have read that llamas and alpacas can interbreed and have healthy fertile offspring so if this was repeated for so many generations who knows.

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
huh well i guess they could have just kept breeding back to the smallest llamas that they have produced its been done before. look at the falabella horse and also all the problems that it has. i hope someone who knows the answer can tell us whats up. but its odd that they could get enough animals of that size standard for a registry without people really knowing about it

Kooshie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Interesting. I am not surprised that they have been created.

oldbarncat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I raise alpacas and have a couple that are smaller than the rest of the herd but certainly not minis. Sure would like to see minis though.. they have mini everything else

Henrietta23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have to say the mini llama was really cute, but I am partial to llamas anyway. :)

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Seen mini llamas, not thrilled with them. Somewhere along the line, alpacas have been bred in. I have nothing against alpacas, but keep em seperate! the mini llamas are bigger than alpacas still, wider and most are taller. alot of people in New England have them, so I have seen many. Several of my friends do, and eh....have to say. they don't thrill me, as I like big, tall, stretchy llamas but, you can house 2 on an acre comfortably as long as you supplement with hay.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
laughingllama75 said:
Seen mini llamas, not thrilled with them. Somewhere along the line, alpacas have been bred in. I have nothing against alpacas, but keep em seperate! the mini llamas are bigger than alpacas still, wider and most are taller. alot of people in New England have them, so I have seen many. Several of my friends do, and eh....have to say. they don't thrill me, as I like big, tall, stretchy llamas but, you can house 2 on an acre comfortably as long as you supplement with hay.
The Mini llama is not part alpaca, the miniature llama has been developed from various llama bloodlines from Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Peru, Canada and North America. In the llamas native habitat of South America it is believed that small llamas may have been products of surviving harsh natural climates. With the todays knowledge of genetics it has made the possibility of breeding specifically for size a reality. Some of the most well known herdsires in the llama industry from years past continue on in miniature llamas genes today.

I have both and they are so alike except for their size. They except each other and get along well ...for the most part. I pack both the mini and full size llama and it is very cute to see one large llama and the mini counterpart on a trail enjoying each others company