Mini Rex + Cal = Himalayan Rex?

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you are just trying to introduce the dwarfing gene, I think you could use any dwarf breed, I'm not familiar with the differences though as I have only had standard Rex and meat mutts. You would want to clearly define your goal for the rabbits and come up with criteria, and then be prepared to cull heavily to reach your goal.

Would this just be a new pet breed? Californians are supposed to be a meat breed, making them into a dwarf breed would defeat the purpose of the meat breed. As a pet, most people like the colorful rabbits instead of REWs or Californians, as the red eyes are unsettling to many.
Understandable. I'm honestly just asking around at this point but I feel like there is a breeder who has tried this or there might be a niche for mini cals for the show table if there was a standard or for pets/companions.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Understandable. I'm honestly just asking around at this point but I feel like there is a breeder who has tried this or there might be a niche for mini cals for the show table if there was a standard or for pets/companions.
There may be someone out there who has tried it, you could possibly reach out to the different national groups for Californian breed to see if that is something they are aware of. I believe it's a long process to get a new breed recognized, so you probably wouldn't be able to do that before you are out of high school. From what I understand, the new breed has to breed true and I think there needs to be 3 (or more) breeders who are working on it, not just one.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe it's a long process to get a new breed recognized,
Before you even start, you need to know that the ARBA standards committee stated a number of years ago that they won't consider adding anything as a new breed that could be described as being like an already existing breed, just in a different color or coat type. Whatever someone wants to present would need to be unique. When I try to picture meat rabbit type on a small rabbit, what I come up with is the Mini Satin - of which Himalayan is a recognized color. :idunno Other than not having a satinized coat, I don't see how a Mini Cal would be different.

There are many unrecognized breeds out there, and people playing around with recognized breeds in colors most people have never though of. Lots of folks are perfectly happy to do that. If that's where you want to go and have the means to get rid of your culls, have fun!