Miniature horse lame on both fronts

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, an update.

The vet did X-rays and the coffin bone has rotated front to back or however you say it, but we don’t know if they’re rotated from this founder, or from a previous founder. She has foundered with me before, and also with her last owners.
D9EC7084-2ADE-46EB-9459-4D09CDAF5E95.jpeg
9501F769-F06D-48F9-B9B1-8C412B73982C.jpeg

The vet basically said give her deep bedding, keep her water and food close to her and laying down is a good thing. She said to give her bute for 5 days and if she’s still just as sore they have something stronger they’ll give her. Star (the mini) also has to lose a lot of weight. I had thought she was fine because when we got her teeth floated the other vets said she was fine, but I guess not.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The farrier came yesterday and trimmed all the horses. Star was a very good girl and the farrier gave her lots of breaks when she got tired. She is very sore today because of the trim my farrier did, but her feet look very nice.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’m a little concerned about how her hoof looks but I don’t really know what I’m looking at
AA6F8704-8F2A-491A-89B0-975DEDD041C6.jpeg
043AD71C-9462-4203-A5F3-6450F28BD775.jpeg
Does this look ok?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, no expert 🤣 but, I've sure owned a lot of them.

Some hoof wall strangeness but, expected with founder. He's got the sole evenly flat, frog touching ground, barefoot cut, should help hold the coffin bone stable as much as possible with the situation. Normally you see some concave to sole for flexing as they move. She can't handle heavy flexing, it's painful. Looks like there's some ease on toe, better when she walks to give less pull and resistance in break over. A foundered horse often grows more heel, throws foot angle off but that's trimmed up well in that pic. Of course, just looking at bottom but appears he's doing a good job for her. I'm hoping you shared the x-rays with him, thinking you did. Of course he knows she's been foundered, just from her hoof but, he'll appreciate seeing the degree and can work toward keeping her in good trim.

Being a mini there's less weigh, less pounding, no riding. That helps as a full sized animal puts a real pounding with every step. You'll never "cure" the condition, just good management. Same pointed out by another, who sounds like a farrier or at least one involved with. Pasture limits for grazing and even time of day, year, weather -- will be something you'll want to consider for her.

I hope she's doing better. What does vet have you using for pain?

Last edited:

Latest posts