Miniature Stud......

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugsI am sure you are disappointed but... I agree. Find a mini who you know for sure gets along the the goats. And already gelded. They are out there.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Disappointment is disappointment no matter your age. :hugs But, you probably DID dodge a bullet. Maybe start the search again and look for a gelding... :hu

Thank you. I asked the owner this morning if the horse was still available as I was having hay delivered next week and wanted to be sure I was getting enough if I was to be getting the horse next weekend. To which he replied:

"Sorry to say but he is gone they picked him up and we're delighted with him"

I think he was just being a bit mean as he knew I really wanted the horse. My husband and I did see 2 separate geldings on craigslist----both broke and very gentle (one has even been in parades, the other has been ridden around the barrels and trail ridden). Either one seems a much better choice. But we ended up deciding to wait until spring to look for one. It's probably for the best with winter coming.

Latebloomerar

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You are probably better off. The seller doesn't sound trustworthy. When I sell a goat I want people to come see them, pet them, see how they are with people and other animals. BTW I'd of had him gelded straight away. JMHO

Dee Mini Pigs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi, I reckon its a blessing in disguise, actually, out of the frying pan and into the fire that may of been for you, but if the stud was meant to be with you he would have been, animals come into our lives for many reasons, and if your like me , you just know if they belong or need to be rehoused. I hope it makes you feel better but maybe this was meant to be and there’s another baby waiting out there, you never know what’s around the corner I suppose. Love Dee Australia.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
UPDATE!!
My husband and I decided to wait until spring to get a mini horse.....That being said, I posted an ad on a miniature horse Facebook page (stating that we were looking for something that would be available at the end of March).
A woman in Michigan commented saying she has a 3 year old registered colt that she would give me for free! I was skeptical at first (wondering what may be wrong with him).
After talking with her, I found out he flipped himself as a baby while he was tied out and was slightly injured. His injury caused him to not be able to do jumps (she shows her minis and they do jumps in competition). She also has many minis, including several other colts and they are selling others too, in order to reduce their herd size.
The colt she is giving me is not physically effected in any other way and can still easily pull a cart, run around, etc. He's good with goats (which is a must as I have 2 wethers), has a calm, sweet disposition and is broke to lead.
We are picking him up on Saturday and I will schedule him to be gelded asap. I'm excited and nervous (haven't had horses in awhile), but I think this was meant to be.❤
Here is LDS Blackhawke (Toby)!

I have videos of him running, but can't upload them here.
received_187127435534544.jpeg
received_2179916492331130.jpeg

Attachments

• received_601333590281687.jpeg
    received_601333590281687.jpeg
    512.5 KB · Views: 236
  • received_2114026338862772.jpeg
    received_2114026338862772.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 250

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
As a child, we worked with a team of Belgium horses, usually mares. Every now and then we would have geldings on the farm. Once grandda raised a stud from a colt and had him for 2 years. We did have stud small shetland ponies and found the more work/busy they are, pulling carts, hay loads, tree branched etc. They seem to not cause as much problem. Now days folks don't seem to have the time to work their stock and boy do they get board. Example, neighbor has herd of 11 icelandic horses that have spent their life, 5 years in a 5 acre pasture eating the pasture done to nothing just pushing on the fence and getting into squabbles. I personally feel if your going to have an animal you need to plan for its needs and help them meet them. Horsed where destined to work, small horses small loads, large horses large loads.

drdoolittle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Toby is here!!! It was a long, tiring day of driving, but he is PERFECT! He is so calm and sweet!! Loves to be lived on and does not seem to care about the goats! A little curious about them, and they do not appreciate how awesome he is, lol!
20181103_163527.jpg
20181103_163956.jpg
20181103_163959.jpg