Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I really feel for you folks... That has to be a helluva lot of work! :ep:th :hide I'm sorry, even for a "good deal" I don't think I could rent to own/buy a place owned by a hoarder... I've watched the show enough... I admit I'm not the cleanest person in the world, and I do have some "clutter" laying around (like a pile of mail I go through maybe once a month, that sorta thing), but I'm a huge fan of trash it! I've actually considered the fact that when I'm gone, there won't be a lot of "personal" stuff for them to inherit... I just can't see the point in hanging on to stuff. :idunno

Personally i was so not on board with it either, i like things to look nice and in order and a bit OCD lol. Honestly though it wasn't just a good deal it was a spectacular deal. The first years "rent" was us paying the property taxes which was roughly $1000 for the year...so lease rent was about $83/month. The sale price we got was also a smoking deal at 1/5 the normal market price even on the low end. So basically it was do the labor or get in debt way way over our heads and not be able to afford to farm it. There was/is a ton of work and building maintenance needed but we wouldnt be able to afford other places... we looked and the closest thing to what we have but clean and fixed up slightly starts over $150,000 :ep

So the plan is buy this place...fix it up, we have access to all the heavy equipment we need and the skills/knowledge to fix it ourselves. Clean it all up, give everything fresh paint, then pull out the equity and build a new house with it farther back on the property. We dont need anything fancy but we want a bigger house this one is only around 700sqft and we dont wanna be right up by the road.

I totally understand you. The homeowners now are nice and all, but they were/are definitely hoarders. They do have a granddaughter that is a complete brat and acts like she owns the place though . We actually told them how we have ATV's and they said that was fine and we could ride them, then one day w wouldn't go babysit their granddaughter at the movies ( they claimed we were going to hang out) and since then they will not allow us to ride our atvs now, even though we had been riding them since we moved in . There are some goods and bads about Leasing a house, but we just keep reminding ourselves that it will soon be ours and they won't be able to step foot on our property. My parents actually got into it with them, because there were two men that had trespassed onto our property (our horses and goats were put into danger) to pick up a trailer. We had no idea it was there, and when we walked out they were trying to hook up to our livestock trailer. I am 16(female) and my sister is 13. We walked out and halter end our horses and simply asked if it was their trailer because we had one stolen from us. This 6ft+ marine man had stepped up face to face to me swearing at me, threatening me, threatening to have me thrown in jail for walking out there while they were there, and a whole bunch of crap. I was so scared, amd angry because he was threatening me on my property saying I disrespected them (mind you he had been smoking and throwing his cigarettes in the grass were our animals graze, and just barely missed hitting my horse with his truck). My family and I were so angry, because the way the pasture is et up, there is a second drive and gate and if that gate gets left open, they WILL be out, so we get really nervous with everyone driving in whenever they want, so we are still learning to watch and just let it slide.

That sucks, yeah these people dont do that kind of stuff. They are nice and their family doesnt come wandering around, they even call before they come over or if they stop by and we arnt there they just leave a note and leave. They just dont have the drive o clean the place up...so the farm looks like poo and it embarrasses me because a lot of the stuff we cant move and have to wait for them too.

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope you have a contract for your lease/purchase. I know what it's like to clean up years of somebody else's "stuff". :)

Yes we have a contract for the lease and the purchase agreement already but unless we secure financing by a certain end date it is null and void hence why we are not doing any major work.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I almost forgot..Missy had her kids. They are twin boys :(

How come the boys are always the cutest/prettiest colors?
20160428_205137.jpg

i sooooo hoped the one in the back was a girl when i saw them.:fl

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Roughly a week ago we lost 12 ducks to a fox overnight. So we have been thinking about getting an LGD problem so far is...we have a blue/tan Dobie who just turned a year old this month. His favorite pass time is chasing/killing/eatting rabbits, and "playing" with chickens/duck he doesnt hurt them just loves to run thru them when they are out free ranging. When we have let him in the barn or pasture the runs like a lunatic and loves to see the goats and sheep run when he is "playing" with them. Because of his behavior our goats dont like any big dogs...the little dogs they are OK with but only marginally.

So i have a few fears about getting a dog because we barely have time to try to train the dobie, i dont know how we would train a LGD and if we introduced them as a puppy im worried the goats would beat the puppy up. I'm pretty certain we are gonna hold offf until the dobie gets trained. He is so very hard to work with though because he is soooooooo high energy. So far he knows the commands, sit, wait, stay, down, come, relax, house and go lay down....we use relax when he is acting like a lunatic. We only pet him when he is sitting or laying or being calm to try to encourage him being calm but it isnt working. He is a very playful dog and the breeder used to play with him like a lunatic..you the kind of rubbing him all upo and down and high energy so he thinks thats how he should play back im guessing. He is great with DH...calm, listens better, has manners....with me though nope. I'm a bit lost on how to train him because he does what i ask when he is in the house or paying attention...outside or in the barn it is way harder to impossible. DH wants to get a adjustable shock collar to help train him because he is learning now that "if i dont come to you i dont get in trouble" He does get a smack on the butt when he does stuff really bad (like playing on the road when he knows he isnt suppose to be on the road) which he hates but we are by no means beating him or even smacking him hard on the butt. It doesnt deter him much though.

Not really sure what this post is about guess me just talking about being a bit frustrated and losing my ducks:hu

Starlight4Leah

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Personally i was so not on board with it either, i like things to look nice and in order and a bit OCD lol. Honestly though it was just a good deal it was a spectacular deal. The first years "rent" was us paying the property taxes which was roughly $1000 for the year...so lease rent was about $83/month. The sale price we got was also a smoking deal at 1/5 the normal market price even on the low end. So basically it was do the labor or get in debt way way over our heads and not be able to afford to farm it. There was/is a ton of work and building maintenance needed but we wouldnt be able to afford other places... we looked and the closest thing to what we have but clean and fixed up slightly starts over $150,000 :ep

So the plan is buy this place...fix it up, we have access to all the heavy equipment we need and the skills/knowledge to fix it ourselves. Clean it all up, give everything fresh paint, then put out the equity and build a new house with it farther back on the property. We dont need anything fancy but we want a bigger house this one is only around 700sqft and we dont wanna be right up by the road.

That sucks, yeah these people dont do that kind of stuff. They are nice and their family doesnt come wandering around, they even call before they come over or if they stop by and we arnt there they just leave a note and leave. They just dont have the drive o clean the place up...so the farm looks like poo and it embarrasses me because a lot of the stuff we cant move and have to wait for them too.
Wow, that is a really good deal. Don't feel bad, ours looks like crap too. :barnie

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are a bunch of us on here that started with something that was a stretch to even call it an eyesore but it usually seems to work for the better. :)

Our house was so bad it wasn't considered salvagable so we got our place for the cost of the land.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is a really good deal. Don't feel bad, ours looks like crap too. :barnie

Glad i'm not alone!! Some day it is gonna be beautiful...we really really fell in love with the barn....i will have to get some pics to post so you guys can see it.

There are a bunch of us on here that started with something that was a stretch to even call it an eyesore but it usually seems to work for the better. :)

Our house was so bad it wasn't considered salvagable so we got our place for the cost of the land.

By the bank's standards and HUD our house is not "liveable" , we have a valid occupancy permit still so legally we can live there.....but the bank won't finance us as a homestead/homeowner loan. So we have to put up more of a down payment and get a land/construction loan.

Starlight4Leah

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Glad i'm not alone!! Some day it is gonna be beautiful...we really really fell in love with the barn....i will have to get some pics to post so you guys can see it.
Ours is getting there, we are currently doing some weeding up by the house and trimming back rose bushes. We also have to wash all of the white picket fencing out front and on the sides, so that will take some time. We have to fill in a lot of holes, and burn a lot of brush, but its a work in progress. :)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got most of the yard in good shape and everything trimmed down last year before snow hit...so that reasonable. When we got the ok to do anything on the place the grass was taller then my waist...we had to bring in our brush hog and a big tractor to get it knocked down. Then clean it all up and pick up everything and mowed most of it with the lawnmower where we knew it was clear....weed whacked the rest. Skirted all the trees, dug the grass off the front sidewalk and dug things out of the ground all over the yard. This year we have to get the lilac bush in check and trim the apple trees, powerwash the two decks and refinish them, fix the hole in the garage roof which is just nailing the tin back up and nail two peices of wall tin back on...finish building stalls in the barn, re-do the driveway....and the list goes on lmao. Driveway wont be until after we get the loan though because it is a big driveway and we have to dig it back out before we put down limestone so it will coat a good chunk of money.

So far all of our stalls are build out of slab wood and rough cut one by, then we use nice new looking pallets for the gate which works awesome. Each stall had "solid" wood to about 4.5ft and is 8ftX10ft so pretty big stall...we have our 4 piglets in one stall and our friends in another stall. The orginal stall we made is now the grain room/medicine room/ everything the animals shouldnt have access too lol. So now to finish off that whole wall of stalls we just have to do the fronts on two stalls and then we will have 4 stalls we can use which will be sooooo nice. Those two stalls are getting double gates on the face wall and a setup for temporary walls down the middle so we will have 4 kidding stalls. Right now the new moms are in the grain stall...not ideal but they are short so they cant reach much lol.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I believe we have decided to sell all of our non-standard size goats. Of the 3 does who just had kids...all 3 had twins which was really nice and then each of them lost a kid :hit

Lucy the mini La Mancha lost the boy of her boy/girl set
Alice the nigerian dwarf lost a girl of her girl set
and as of yesterday Missy the mini La Mancha lost one of her boys and the other was almost dead.

We dont seem to have as many problems with the larger goats and a lot less losses. So i think we are going to sell them as soon as test results come back which should be anytime now.

We will end up selling Lucy, Alice, Missy, Bella(Nd/Alpine), and Moon(mini nubian buck) along with their kids.

I love the little goats :love but we really dont have a use for them as we are a diary goat farm and they will not milk, even if they would oh my they have the tiniest teats ever i have tried milking them and i can only use my pointer finger and thumb. :\

Latest posts