Moons Progress

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey all :frow
My horse, Moon, got her leg caught in the fence, and ripped it open yesterday and had to be taken to the vet. Here, I was thinking I could post pictures and updates every once in a while, so we could see her progress.

I am now giving her antibiotics and a painkiller/swelling thing morning and night in her grain. This morning, I put apple sauce in her food to make the powders stick to the oats, but she isn’t too thrilled. If anyone knows a better way, pleas let me know :)

We are also washing out the wound and changing the dressing once a day.

Thanks to anyone who wants to follow along!

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’m very very, VERY forgetful obviously. Here’s from when it first happened:
2E3F60DB-1CAC-4689-AA76-D1D829FDEA55.jpeg

And I’ll try to get pictures of it now when I clean it tomorrow.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We always hate these wounds, right? I've had worse from fence and he healed well. Mini stallion tried to outsmart a fence! Got hung up, had to cut it off. Saving grace was how trained he was or he'd have broken it....stood there instead. Bad day!

I used a spray, Shreiners, I believe, and while the cut was deeper and longer, it healed without infection or proud flesh issues. It's a lot of work each day but, you should see it come together with the care you're giving. Leg cuts are scary.

I'm with Bay, mix with honey, karo, molasses and syringe unless she's bad to dose that way. Normally not with the sweetness. Hoping all goes well!

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We always hate these wounds, right?
Yup. And you wanna know what’s creepy? A couple weeks before this happened, we brought her in to the clinic for a nasty cough. Well, the vet said that she had just had another horse in with the same issue right before we got there. When we went back with this cut, she looks at her and goes, “oh, it’s you.” Because she’s seen her a TON the past year because she’s so old and has issues with everything. But then she said that the same horse who had the cough before, was in an hour or so before with a cut on the same leg as Moons. She says they miss her.

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I used a spray, Shreiners, I believe, and while the cut was deeper and longer, it healed without infection or proud flesh issues. It's a lot of work each day but, you should see it come together with the care you're giving. Leg cuts are scary.

I'm with Bay, mix with honey, karo, molasses and syringe unless she's bad to dose that way. Normally not with the sweetness. Hoping all goes well!
Kay, thanks.

Here’s a picture from today
AC917F04-486A-4C2E-8E35-3CBEE85D725E.jpeg

Does it look like some proud flesh starting?

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That does look like it's starting to proud flesh.

I had one try to cut his hoof off. Literally... Like 2 inches deep from pasterns into heel bulbs

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That does look like it's starting to proud flesh.

I had one try to cut his hoof off. Literally... Like 2 inches deep from pasterns into heel bulbs
The vet said to just wrap it right if that happens, hopefully it’ll go away.

Ouch

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The vet said to just wrap it right if that happens, hopefully it’ll go away.

Ouch
My vet actually had me chemical burn the proud flesh back.

You essentially scrub it, dry it as well as possible, put Vaseline on all healthy skin you want to keep (the edges of the wound and any good skin) then cover the proud flesh with pickling lime and wrap it up. The next day when you take the wrap off, the proud flesh will have a nasty looking black and yellow scab on it, peel that off, scrub the proud flesh until it bleeds, reapply the Vaseline and the lime and wrap again. This keeps the proud flesh pushed back so the skin can grow in from the sides and heal correctly.