Moving an outdoor rabbit inside

Jea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
We used to have more than one rabbit and they lived in a big 12'x24'outdoor shelter and dug warrens that they lived in all winter. But, then a swarm of rats moved into those warrens and we had to hard-ware cloth their entire floor and switch to bales of straw for them to create tunnels in during cold weather. Inside the straw they would cuddle together and they seemed ok. But over time the rabbits died and now we have only one left (a white albino that seems like she might be blind.)

The one that is totally not social and doesn't let us touch her at all. I'm afraid to leave her outside even if I give her bales of straw because she doesn't have any companion to cuddle with as it gets chilly. I want to bring her into a hutch in closed-in breezeway which never gets cold. My concern is that this is going to be super stressful for her. Anything I should do to help make this an easy transition? We wanted to stop having rabbits so we just want this girl to finish her life peacefully.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used to have more than one rabbit and they lived in a big 12'x24'outdoor shelter and dug warrens that they lived in all winter. But, then a swarm of rats moved into those warrens and we had to hard-ware cloth their entire floor and switch to bales of straw for them to create tunnels in during cold weather. Inside the straw they would cuddle together and they seemed ok. But over time the rabbits died and now we have only one left (a white albino that seems like she might be blind.)

The one that is totally not social and doesn't let us touch her at all. I'm afraid to leave her outside even if I give her bales of straw because she doesn't have any companion to cuddle with as it gets chilly. I want to bring her into a hutch in closed-in breezeway which never gets cold. My concern is that this is going to be super stressful for her. Anything I should do to help make this an easy transition? We wanted to stop having rabbits so we just want this girl to finish her life peacefully.
As long as she has a place to hide, and you set things up so people movement is blocked enough so she doesn't feel threatened.... she should be fine.

Just set up the new cage all perfectly, then move her over... and let her settle in.

Tiny Tails Rabbitry 101

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
As long as she has a place to hide, and you set things up so people movement is blocked enough so she doesn't feel threatened.... she should be fine.

Just set up the new cage all perfectly, then move her over... and let her settle in.

Make the cage with a layer of hay. Try not to mess with the rabbit for a few days.

Good Luck!
Keep us posted!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

x2

Good luck with your old girl. She may not be your most "pet" out of the bunch, but you are doing right by her.

Latest posts