MtViking- A little piece of paradise.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kits are doing good. My doe Jasmine has turned out to be a fantastic momma. She’s eating a lot more so I’ve been keeping her feeder full. The kits have started to eat some hay and I think maybe some pellets too. I’ve seen them eating the hay for sure. They’re going through pellets really fast so I assume they’re helping mamma eat those too since she’s not getting fat. But I have bad news and could use some advice. My satin buck buster didn’t eat anything yesterday and both his eyes are runny and kind of goopy. I’ve read that this can be lethal and a lot of breeders cull them instead of treat them. But I just can’t do that to Buster he’s my favorite and I haven’t got any litters from him yet so I’m taking a $20 rabbit to the vet tomorrow and more than likely will become a hundred dollar rabbit. But I just couldn’t get myself to dispatch him with out knowing for sure if it’s not treatable. So I’m asking for your expertise yet again my fellow herd friends. @B&B Happy goats @Bruce @Baymule and everyone else that can help

Last edited:

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It could be pneumonia. I understand your love for him and taking him to the vet. I tried to save sick rabbits, but they just never seemed to do well. I hope you get good results. Let us know.
Yeah that’s what I’m afraid of. I didn’t find any good news looking things up online. What about my other rabbits? Is there something I should be doing to help prevent this. I thought I’ve been keeping everyone clean and happy and blocking the cages from the wind and the wet and cold as much as I can.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Some just seem to be more susceptible to illness than others. If you can get him well, go for it.
yeah I’m going to try anyways. If there’s nothing for it than it’s a good lesson. I know better than to get too attached but it’s hard sometimes especially with my first. And he’s such a happy rabbit with a big personality I spend a lot of time with the rabbits making sure everyone is happy so it’s difficult not to get attached. Plus being my breeder I really didn’t plan on him going to freezer camp I figure I just let him retire as a pet for someone once he was done breeding. It’s all part of the experience and the reality of starting a mini farm/ homestead. I’m sure it’s pretty amusing seeing a 6’4” 240lb Viking looking man all upset about a rabbit though lol.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
yeah I’m going to try anyways.
If he can come through this and stay healthy it may be worth it. Being a male breeder he won't "wear out" from repeated breedings over the years and the offspring are money in your pocket (after the vet bill is covered ;) ) or meat in your freezer. This is probably about the only time being male in the " domestic food animal" world is a positive thing.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Kits are doing good. My doe Jasmine has turned out to be a fantastic momma. She’s eating a lot more so I’ve been keeping her feeder full. The kits have started to eat some hay and I think maybe some pellets too. I’ve seen them eating the hay for sure. They’re going through pellets really fast so I assume they’re helping mamma eat those too since she’s not getting fat. But I have bad news and could use some advice. My satin buck buster didn’t eat anything yesterday and both his eyes are runny and kind of goopy. I’ve read that this can be lethal and a lot of breeders cull them instead of treat them. But I just can’t do that to Buster he’s my favorite and I haven’t got any litters from him yet so I’m taking a $20 rabbit to the vet tomorrow and more than likely will become a hundred dollar rabbit. But I just couldn’t get myself to dispatch him with out knowing for sure if it’s not treatable. So I’m asking for your expertise yet again my fellow herd friends. @B&B Happy goats @Bruce @Baymule and everyone else that can help
Just read your post, sorry about you rabbit. , may be worth a shot to try some VETRX...it's used for goats and sheep for respiratory health. But if I have a goat or rabbit that is snooty or has runny eyes they get a few drops in their nose..only used it on one foster rabbit and it worked , but I am in Florida, and my rabbits are outside and always have fresh air because there is no need to cover them up from the cold.
Sure hope all goes well and the vet can help your little guy out :fl:hugs.