MtViking- A little piece of paradise.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
The rabbits still haven’t breed yet although I keep trying.
Talked to one of the Farmer's Market guys today. He has canned veg, rabbits and chickens. I get my roasters from him. Mentioned I'd heard that rabbits don't breed like rabbits. He said yes they do, he's never had a problem. Guess he should go visit your rabbits and explain how things work to them.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Talked to one of the Farmer's Market guys today. He has canned veg, rabbits and chickens. I get my roasters from him. Mentioned I'd heard that rabbits don't breed like rabbits. He said yes they do, he's never had a problem. Guess he should go visit your rabbits and explain how things work to them.
Yeah I need a rabbit whisperer lol. I think they’re confused how it works. I think I’m gonna pick up a proven buck if I can find one at the rabbit show. Maybe once they have an older man my young buck will get a chance :)

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
WHAT?? :th
He's a liar :lol: Ask any other rabbit breeder and they'll tell you the truth!
Maybe he has magic rabbits...

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When to the rabbit show this morning. Never been to one and wanted to see how it all works in case I wanted to show some of my future rabbits. I was also hoping to find another buck or possibly a doe for my herd. No luck on finding a new rabbit but I learned a lot, and talking to other breeders found out that most everyone is having troubles getting their rabbits to breed, even breeders with 30+ years experience can’t get the rabbits to breed. They have different theories but no one really knows why. Most think it has to do with the crazy weather we’ve been having all over the state and country for that matter. I talked to a gentleman in his 60s that’s been breeding since he was a kid and said he’s never seen it like this before especially in the fall which is when he usually breeds to get a few litters in before the super cold comes in. So apparently rabbits are on strike from all over the place.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, I guess that the good thing from all that is that you aren't crazy, and you aren't the "failure" you thought you were. Great that you had a chance to meet and talk to others too. Maybe made a few contacts for future purchase down the road. Plus getting to know someone that might be close if you run into a problem that is beyond your current knowledge.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, I guess that the good thing from all that is that you aren't crazy, and you aren't the "failure" you thought you were. Great that you had a chance to meet and talk to others too. Maybe made a few contacts for future purchase down the road. Plus getting to know someone that might be close if you run into a problem that is beyond your current knowledge.
Yeah it was definitely worth my time to go. I wish now I would’ve entered my satins into the show. They are beautiful blues and blue otters and there was only three satins in the whole place so they had a real shot at winning which looks good on the paper work if nothing else. The older gentleman I talked about only lives a few miles from me and said I can come see him anytime and that he would come to my place anytime to help me with anything rabbits. I believe I have a new friend and he has beautiful Rex and holland lops rabbit or mini lops I can’t remember I was too busy admiring the Rex’s he had. I think I might expand the herd with Rex in the years to come they are amazing looking rabbits. I originally wanted to start with Rex but didn’t find any at the time and found the satins I have from a 4H family that just started breeding for shows so I got them really cheap and they are also beautiful maybe I’ll try a Rex/satin cross who knows. It’s just nice to know someone in the area with loads of experience to ask and learn from. I’m a very hands on learner and the internet can only teach so much. Nothing beats being there and doing it.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's good to know!! At least it not only our rabbits who are on strike! I was beginning to think it was something I was doing wrong. I tried breeding all of my does today, and only had 1 that bred successfully. Which is great! It'll be her first litter, she's an 8 month old Holland Lop.
But as far as the others go....they want nothing to do with breeding :idunno

Glad you got to experience a rabbit show...tons of fun! There are so many breeds and you gotta stick with the ones you like but also the ones that won't drain your wallet. Rex's are great! They're dual-purpose so that's handy. Plus they have nice temperaments :)