MtViking- A little piece of paradise.

Xerocles

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My first litter is coming up to processing size soon. My plan was to use a version of the hopper popper. When I was MUCH younger and had rabbits, I used a 1/2" thick board and was fully successful. Don't recall (but memory fades a the years pile up) any undue suffering. But the popper sounds certain and efficient.
Would you please PM me (so you can be as graphic as necessary) the problems you encountered? There's still time for me to modify my plans for dispatch.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You are doing well MtViking. I suspect processing is hard on most everyone even if all goes quickly and well. Harder when it isn't so "perfect".

What do you plan to do with the hides? You could make cat toys with some of them.
Thanks. I don’t know what I’m gonna do with them yet but cat toys is a pretty good idea. I might use some for a nice winter hat something. I plan on just collecting them up until I have enough to start making stuff.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My first litter is coming up to processing size soon. My plan was to use a version of the hopper popper. When I was MUCH younger and had rabbits, I used a 1/2" thick board and was fully successful. Don't recall (but memory fades a the years pile up) any undue suffering. But the popper sounds certain and efficient.
Would you please PM me (so you can be as graphic as necessary) the problems you encountered? There's still time for me to modify my plans for dispatch.
I sent you a message

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never heard of a hopper popper. Just watched a video on it. It looks like a good tool, maybe you just need practice. Taking a life can be unnerving, when it doesn't go right it makes you feel pretty bad. There is nothing wrong with being compassionate over the animals you use for food.

I used a short stick, sometimes it didn't go right and I had to hit them again. I finally got it down, without any tool at all. I held the rabbit upside down, stroked their ears forward until they were still, then I karate chopped their neck, breaking it. It was quick, it never failed. But that isn't for everybody.

Congrats on meat in the freezer. It is a good feeling to raise and process your own meat. You will get better at this.

Latest posts