My goat is being TOO friendly. Help!

foxywench

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
like most animals...
hitting, pushing, shoving ect rarely works long term...

animals know your not the same species...

hitting, pushing ect is a dominance challange, and when you take relitve size your just asking for trouble...

instead try ignoring him...
what hes doing is all about the atteniton. when he comes over and pushes in for "love" walk away.
only pet him when hes being calm and quiet...
hell quickly learn that his overly forcefull behaviour actually results in a complete lack of attention, yet being calm results in the attention hes after.

a squirt bottle and or loud AhAh when combined with this stuff, which is essentially reconditioning usually works wonders.

now i will make a note i havent worked with goats much, i have worked with nigerians, and nubians and this usually works with them.
more importantly...this behavioural reconditioning has worked with other animals in my work. (i work in a zoo with primates, big cats and canines.)

belive me, last thing you need is an overly "affectionate" lion cub is this kind of stuff lol.

no nonsense

Corralled
Reaction score
These problems are always more easily prevented than fixed. They exemplify this increasing trend toward anthropomorphism of livestock, or at the least, comparison between livestock and the only other species with which most people have any experience, dogs and cats. A goat is not a human is not a puppy is not a kitty. The sooner people begin to realize this, and begin to appreciate the normal behaviors of the species in question, the sooner we'll begin to really grow as livestock keepers. Then we'll truly begin to go somewhere with this recent movement in small livestock husbandry.

goatsforgood

Just born
Reaction score
Well, I'm gonna try the water pistol thing on our buck. I'm not sure it will work because he is blind and just seems to do his own thing all the time anyways!

Latest posts