my horse keeps rearing up

Horsiezz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
abooth said:
I would use a lip chain on him. I might also carry a dressage whip and smack him until all his feet were on the ground again. Assuming there is no medical reason for this behavior. Rearing is dangerous and I don't tolerate it. The lip chain should give you a lot of leverage by itself if you think hitting him or her with the whip might just add to the frenzy.
I agree. When he does this he needs punished and needs to know your the boss. If it continues after this, then request the help of someone more experienced. But dont spend the money if you dont have to, and try it yourself first. If its a respect issue, its between you and the horse and it will benefit from your training rather than a trainers. Just my opinion.

mydakota

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
One of the posters said that "professionals don't hit a horse" I respectfully disagree. A good trainer WILL hit a horse when it is appropriate to do so. Usually as a response to direct, overt, aggression. It should never be done punitively, or just to make the handler feel better, but there ARE times when it is an appropriate response.

I also agree (mostly) with Horsiezz in regards to trying to fix it yourself. Of course it is best to know when you are in over your head, and when you are, to seek professional help. But another thing to keep in mind is that respect is NOT transferable. The trainer may be able to cultivate it in 5 minutes. That doesn't mean the horse will view you with the same respect afterwards. If you really do need to employ a trainer to establish respect in the horse, please get him to work with the horse AND YOU afterwards, so that you will know how to cultivate the same respect.

Good luck.