My Horse Won't Go Into The Barn

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Does the shed have a metal roof? If so, he could be uneasy with the sounds. I agree with the other suggestions to feed him in there. With these cold temps, he should become adjusted to it soon and learn to love it!

Womwotai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
To be honest….I don't worry about it. I figure that horses lived outside for a long time before people domesticated them, and didn't have anyone to make sure they made it to shelter when it stormed. All I can do is provide for their needs - if they choose not to avail themselves, probably they know best. I have an Appy and they are tough! My other horse is a foundation bred quarter horse and if anything he is even tougher. They have a nice run-in shelter but more often than not, I find them standing outside in the rain or snow. One time I found the quarter horse outside in an ice-storm and he was covered in ice. His icicle encrusted mane was actually rather beautiful. Did he care? Was he uncomfortable? Nah - he was happy as can be. I've never seen either of them shiver and we've been having some mighty cold weather this winter. They are acclimatized, and have grown thick coats and are built to handle it.

Mostly I think it makes *us* feel better to think that they are under shelter. Like I said, I don't worry about it. I know mine will use the run-in when they need to since there is always poop in there, so I just let them decide when they feel they need to.

Briebomb241295

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You really can't do anything to make him go in the barn or to teach him. Horses don't mind the rain or storms and it's really not that dangerous. I wouldn't worry about it. My horse never goes in the run-in barn during storms either. Some horses don't like the rain, so they'll go in the barn, but others don't care. It's not a problem.