MY KIDS NEED YOUR HELP!!!! THREE RABBITS DEAD SO FAR.....

rockdoveranch

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
terri9630 said:
rockdoveranch said:
I am probably the only person on this forum that rarely gives my rabbits garden greens, and when I do it is just a nibble.
The only thing I feed is frozen celery on hot days, which are most days here between March and Oct..... They just get pellets except kits and preg does, they also get calf mana.
Brilliant Idea! I will have give frozen celery a try!

You reminded me of when my daughter was little. She used to share her popsicles with her French Lop, Cindy Rabbit. My daughter would take a bite, then Cindy Rabbit would take a bite, and this would go on until there was no more popscile left!

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
rockdoveranch said:
terri9630 said:
rockdoveranch said:
I am probably the only person on this forum that rarely gives my rabbits garden greens, and when I do it is just a nibble.
The only thing I feed is frozen celery on hot days, which are most days here between March and Oct..... They just get pellets except kits and preg does, they also get calf mana.
Brilliant Idea! I will have give frozen celery a try!

You reminded me of when my daughter was little. She used to share her popsicles with her French Lop, Cindy Rabbit. My daughter would take a bite, then Cindy Rabbit would take a bite, and this would go on until there was no more popscile left!
My buck will lay on top of the celery while it is frozen but my does will start eating it right away. I tried frozen carrots but they didn't seem to like them as much, except for my buck who..... layed on it. I tried the frozen water bottles but they kept chewing on them and after dealing with colic with my mare I didn't want to take a chance with the rabbits eating plastic.

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Very sorry about your rabbits.

The highest mortality rate for baby rabbits is at 4-8 weeks old...just at the time that a lot of people are also weaning or selling them with an additional stress of some change in diet or a diet previously lacking hay.

I also wonder if they'd been used to getting those same fresh veggies and in what quanities. If not, any sudden change like that in the diet of any rabbit of any age, no less a baby, can result in "sudden" death. It's why so many breeders say no veggies until 6 months and only then very gradually intro'd...just to protect the bun from veggie overload.

They also could have had a contagious disease or environmental stress like temp or predators. Heat death will often have evidence of a bloody nose.

It's hard to say what happened, but so sorry for the losses.

flemish lops

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss :hugs . Like the others said, it could be feeding greens to them. OR bunnies will eat there droplings once and a while; if there was a sick bunny it could go to the bathroom, the others eat some of the doodoo, and then they get sick. Other then that I'm not sure.

msrmaw7670

Just born
Reaction score
finally back from work. All the rabbits died. Yes they were all kept together all were outside at first but then brought them in out of the heat was very hot those days. Just thinking after the fact They got stressed from heat or kids then another cold was able to set up shop. we washed the cage and are thinking about rabbits getting more but i hate to kill more rabbits. not sure if we did somthing wrong or things just happened either way it is done now.

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The heat can kill them quick. We lost our best 4-H doe last week. She was fine at 4:30 and dead at 6:00 when I went back out to feed. A sudden change in diet can do it too. If you get more introduce new foods slowly and do your best to keep them cool. Bring them in during the day if you need to.

TaylorBug

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I’m so sorry, but from what I’ve read I have no idea what may be going on. The only thing might be the feeding greens. Especially if they are young, you should feed little to no greens at all. This can give young ones fatal diarrhea...try to feed only hay and pellets, with some small tidbits here and there. Other than this...I don’t know...really sorry