My Llama Won't Get Up

Patchesnposies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The weird thing is it doesn't seem like he is sick at all. His eyes are bright, he is ruminating, he still runs off the chickens if they mess with his hay....he just won't get up. He stays in a "kush" position.

4 or 5 days ago, I noticed that every time I looked over at his pen, he was laying down. Which is not like him, as he usually has to know EVERYTHING that is going on. This llama is the most hyper-vigilant animal I ever known.

A little background on him. Cisco is a gelded mal, llama. He was shorn and had his feet trimmed at the beginning of summer. His previous owners are moving and due to financial difficulties are not able to take all of their animals with them. He was a freebie for them, when they bought another llama, so they would have two. They have since bought another llama and have a breeding pair, hence, Cisco is the one to be let behind.

We offered to take him even if it was just to find a good home for him, which isn't always easy to do on short notice. We didn't want to see him go to the auction house. We figured it might take us some time but we could find a home for him if he didn't get along with our animals. And he has done really well in with the goats.

Cisco is a nice enough boy, for a llama, I guess. He is not uber-friendly or anything. In fact, he will usually go to other end of his pen if I go in. And watch me warily. I have never seen anything aggressive from him, but that doesn't mean I think he couldn't be if he needed to.

He is very head shy. However, since he has gone down I can pet his neck and under his chin and he tolerates it.

He does seem to get around as his laying down spot has moved incrementally (3-4 feet) in any direction.

My husband tried to get him up, but you know how that goes with a llama! He eventually fell over on his side and flailed a bit with all four feet (no sign of paralysis or a wound).

I see no sign of infection in his eyes or nose. He is pooping in that kush position and it appears normal.

If anyone with llama expertise could help me understand what may be going on I would appreciate it so much.

I am stumped!

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What is his temp? should be 98 to 102. If I were going to make a guess I would think meningeal worms. It is very unusual for a llama to poop where they kush it goes against their total being. Ivermec would be the drug of choice. Your llama really needs to see a vet because this disease (if this is what it is ) can cause blindness and death. Make sure he eats and drinks fluid. Llamas get sick rarely but when they do they can get very sick without much notice.

Patchesnposies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
mully said:
What is his temp? should be 98 to 102. If I were going to make a guess I would think meningeal worms. It is very unusual for a llama to poop where they kush it goes against their total being. Ivermec would be the drug of choice. Your llama really needs to see a vet because this disease (if this is what it is ) can cause blindness and death. Make sure he eats and drinks fluid. Llamas get sick rarely but when they do they can get very sick without much notice.
Thank you! Would he have any other symptoms? I was just out and sprayed him down with the hose, to cool him off. It is only 80 degrees right now but it will get warmer as the day goes on.

He is still eating and drinking just fine. I did notice a wound on his side. It seems superficial, like brush burn or scrape.

I will call the vet and see if he will come out and check him. Or, at the very least get some Ivermectin. Will that cure meningeal worms?

Patchesnposies

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I just did a quick research of MW's. We don't have any white tail deer here in our part of southern NM, nor are there any snails and slugs. There are deer up in the mountains, but none that would come into contact with my animals.

So I don't know where he would have gotten these worms if that is what the problem is.

This is just too weird.

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ivermectin or Panacur works for this disease ( which is carried by white tail deer) Make sure deer can not feed inside the llamas pasture. Keep us posted. All the best ... God Bless!!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Like Mully said, it sounds like Meningeal worm. Since he is down and can't get up, it has progressed quite far. Unfortunately, there isn't a good prognosis when the llama can't get up on his own anymore. If your husband tried to get him up and the llama wouldn't get up, then this is very serious. No llama would just lay there while someone was trying to get them up, they would get up to get away from you.

Slugs can travel up to 5 miles. Also, a bird could eat a slug and then poop on your field.

Ivomec is only for prevention of meningeal worm. Safeguard at 1cc per 7 pounds is what is used to possibly get rid of an infestation. You give it once a day for 7 days. But you have to catch it early. I'm not sure even the safeguard will work if he can't get up.

I would have the vet out and give him a good going over before making any decisions. He probably needs a very thorough going over to see if anything else is going on to make sure he doesn't have any foot problems or something like that.

Good luck with your llama.

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How is your Llama? :fl Hopefully better. :fl

I heard for Llamas/Alpacas 1cc per 70lbs is the injectable Ivomec Plus dose... once then a 2nd dose 11 days later then just to be safe a 3rd dose 11 days after that.? That's for animals who need a good dose of worming...not a constant monthly 3times schedule or anything.

Wow 1cc per 7lbs is a severe dose.... for 7 days...is that recommended due to this Llama's Severe "down-ed" condition?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
The Safeguard for 7 days at 1cc per 7 lbs is if they actually have meningeal worm. It has been a long time since I heard the whole explanation but once meningeal worm has entered the body and is making their way up the spinal cord, Ivomec is no longer effective for it. Very high doses of Safeguard were found to be effective and I can speak for that because I have treated alpacas that did have meningeal worm but were caught in the early stages where only their hind end was showing signs. A spinal tap was done and confirmed meningeal. They weren't my alpacas but the people who owned them didn't have the space or time to keep them in their own stall and do what needed to be done to care for them. So I did it.