my new addition

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I thought I'd introduce myself.
Im Peachick (active on the backyard chicken forum).
On Friday I brought home my newest hobby. A little boy fainting goat.... and a little lamb to keep him company until I bring him home some girls. They came from my friends and neighbors at Whitmore Farms in MD.
All is going well so far. My only question is a training question. I want him to be quite tame and manageable. He going to have a long coat so I want to be able to groom him without being injured :) I tried a loose dog collar on him so I have something to hang on to but I suspect a halter is better, as he really objected. I am planning a trip to Sheepmans today. So the question is, what do I do first to train him?... he really wants nothing to do with me yet.... although the little lamb started eating from my hand yesterday. I sit with them a couple times a day and just watch them.... this is going to be fun :) :)

4611455245_b5d86ed57b.jpg

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Kat, Had to tell comment on what an awesome boy he is.

I'm still new with goats too and it's taken me a long time for one of my boys to get used to me as well. Having another companion with him that was my best boy showed him not to be afraid of me an he comes by me all the time now.

But others here may have better solutions to your problem. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Welcome to BYH

bob

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
thanks so much bob.
I have to agree with ya LOL he is a handsome baby boy.
I had some sucess today.... he ate from my hand. YAY

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey Kat. Give him time and a lot of your attention. Patience is the key.

There was another person who posted a couple of days ago about how to train a sheep to lead. Go here.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4481

This is very good advice and pretty much what I would say.

At Sheepmans they have the break away chain colors which is what I have on my sheep and goats (when I need it). I don't leave them on all the time, becasue they really do follow me anywhere I go.

So are you going to leave him a buck? Or is Kent going to whether him for you?

Oh and by the way, he is beautiful.

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Kat,

Also should mention that if you want them to keep that field mowed, get a few more sheep. My goats like to eat the taller stuff, the weeds, etc. They eat grass, but my sheep are much better lawn mowers than the goats. If you are going to cut a branch off a a pine tree or some other trees, that is the best treat for your goat.

Do not give them rhododendron, some evergreen shrubs are toxic to them also.

Mine love a limb off of a pear tree, apple tree or a maple tree. But really really love it when I prun my pine trees. I prun in small amounts so they get a treat every now and then.

--Ed

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
thank you Ed. that was good advice.
I have been training and competing with my dogs for 20 years..... training a goat and lamb is a new experience. They are a lot more reactive than a dog LOL and have no desire to please me LOL
I need to learn how to read them. So sitting out with them with my morning coffee is a nice way to wake up :)

I picked up a slip lead yeterday, it loops over the muzzel and neck.
I put it on the lamb yesterday with no pressure. she tried to rub it off against the fence. after about 2-3 minutes I took it off. Will try again today with them both.

Thank you for the compliments on him. I think he is just beautiful too. Yes I am going to keep him as a buck.... hence the need for early training :)) I am concidering naming him Buckley. LOL The lamb is named Moneypenny... because her herd number was 007

4607487664_32cbc90f5f.jpg

4606875031_0e177470c4.jpg

4607487756_351421f202.jpg

peachick

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ThreeBoysChicks said:
Kat,

Also should mention that if you want them to keep that field mowed, get a few more sheep. My goats like to eat the taller stuff, the weeds, etc. They eat grass, but my sheep are much better lawn mowers than the goats. If you are going to cut a branch off a a pine tree or some other trees, that is the best treat for your goat.

Do not give them rhododendron, some evergreen shrubs are toxic to them also.

Mine love a limb off of a pear tree, apple tree or a maple tree. But really really love it when I prune my pine trees. I prune in small amounts so they get a treat every now and then.

--Ed
yea to keep my front field mowed, Im going to need a lot more sheep and goats for sure :)) and you have seen my driveway.... overgrown with pinetrees! I'll find them a branch today. The peacocks love the pine trees too!! We had about 5 deer under an apple tree 2 nights ago... guess I'll go ck that tree out too.

Thanks everyone !

Henrietta23

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh, he is handsome! You could name him James to go with MoneyPenny, but I am biased since that is DH's name!