My New Maremma LGD

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
As I understand it, at 9-10 months, LGD's can get an attack of stupid. Be sure to supervise around poultry and rabbits. I was given a Great Pyrenees because she killed chickens. Left unsupervised on 3 acres of chickens, the ultimate squeaky toy. It took 2 years to get her past what her previous owners did to her. She is still a little phsycotic, but made a fabulous chicken guard.

Your dogs sound awesome. I have a half Maremma half GP puppy and he is so sensible just like your pups.

Be sure to keep us updated on them.

Deedles

Herd lurker
Reaction score
onyx, just read through your post and how right you are about maremmas. They are unlike any dog I've ever had, so smart, self potty trained, etc, etc. Have to emphasize the socialization part... our girl was socialized but without a proper job to do began guarding me and just last month as she was turning 2 years old was starting to get seriously aggressive to other dogs (including our old pooch that she was raised with) and growling at people that come to visit. We recently transferred her to a sheep farm as we want her to remain a 'good dog' and she was starting to be a bit scary around other dogs and certain people, esp. little kids. I'm glad you are taking seriously the socialization part and I hope it works for you. But yes, I'll love the Maremma forever now that I've had one.