My pig won't eat

Shootingstars

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Went out this morning and pig just lays there, no interest in food all day. He has pooped twice today perfectly normal but not in his normal bathroom area more in sleeping areas. I don't think he is sick, his back leg looks messed up. I don't know what is wrong with it. He twisted it as a piglet and then it seemed fine the next day. I am wondering if because he is getting heavy, he is just too heavy for it.

Should I just take him to the butcher at his 140 pounds or ????. I am shooting blind here with no idea on how to proceed.

kenora44

Just born
Reaction score
Im sorry I cant be of much help except to tell you I have two pigs around that weight right now and I am bringing them to the abbatoire on the 29th of November. I dont think the weight should be a problem. If its not eating it will only loose weight which you dont want either. Can you get close enough to see if the leg is broken or bring food closer to it? If the leg is that bad it may be the best option to bring it to the butcher instead of suffering????

animalfarm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If your pig won't eat there is a serious problem. Pigs are like rabbits and don't recover easily and die even quicker. Put the food under his nose (try milk they go crazy for that) if it isn't interested call the vet. The only way to turn the situation around is prompt treatment. My pig just went septic it was only slightly off its food and having difficulty with its back legs and I insisted the vet come out ASAP. He gave the pig 48 hrs and said it wasn't worth treating. I said do it. Since the time lapse was very short between healthy and signs of a problem, it recovered and is doing nicely. If you plan to eat the pig, you cannot give anti biotics/steroids and if it doesn't survive but you may get a diagnosis that helps you make the decision to butcher now or if its even safe to eat it if you do.

If the pig is partially paralyzed in the back end it could be streptococcal meningitis gone septic (bacteria entering the bloodstream from a small scratch ect..).

Sorry but I say panic now and curse me later if I've scared the crap out of you for no good reason. If so, I apologize.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it has a bad leg, the weight might very well be why your pig cannot get to the feed trough and to the regular bathroom area.

I'd see if you could get it to it's feet one last time to take it to the butcher...I'm not sure how the laws are in your area, but I think you can't bring in a downer animal to the butcher around here. They have to be able to walk in on their own power unless you have a special permit for things such as broken legs, etc.

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
If it has a bad leg, the weight might very well be why your pig cannot get to the feed trough and to the regular bathroom area.

I'd see if you could get it to it's feet one last time to take it to the butcher...I'm not sure how the laws are in your area, but I think you can't bring in a downer animal to the butcher around here. They have to be able to walk in on their own power unless you have a special permit for things such as broken legs, etc.
I am pretty sure that downer law is federal. Is there someone who can help you butcher it yourself?

Shootingstars

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well I should have updated this sooner and I really have no idea what was wrong with him but pencillin cleared him right up and he was taken to the butcher this last week-end at around 275 pounds.