mysunwolf lambing 2016

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Um, uh, the afterbirth, she probably ate it. They usually do. Pics, pics, pics! We like pics. And as for spacey, he probably is spacey from all that extra milk!

So far none have eaten the afterbirth except her, all the others just sort of nibbled at the bloody hay but left the big mess for the dogs. So it was a little weird.

Did someone say pics? ;)

We let everyone outside today. Our county has major flooding, bridges disappearing, fields turned into lakes, but we live on a big hill. Not so nice during a drought, but perfect in flooding. First it rained for a week, then over 2 inches recorded just yesterday. The lambs and moms are happy to see sunshine! They had a little trouble figuring out who belonged to who but I noticed that the jugs had done their jobs and the sheep sorted everything out pretty quickly.

Stud Muffin and goat friend moved into the main field but were quickly separated to their own field as Stud tried to mount all the moms and lambs alike. Now poor goat friend gets all the fun.
DSC_9378.JPG

Helena and the ewe lamb. The lamb is still walking a little on the pasterns so we will not be keeping her.
DSC_9381.JPG

Cow and the little ram lamb, he's a trooper.
DSC_9383.JPG
DSC_9393.JPG

Dru and twin ram lambs.
DSC_9384.JPG

The little bottle-fed Cheviot ewes. Tails have finally fallen off and they are almost weaned (another week or two).
DSC_9385.JPG

Bottle babies exploring.
DSC_9386.JPG

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
@mysunwolf love the pix's. don't feel to bad about the little ewe you lost. i had almost the same thing happen with one of my favorite does. for the past 3 years she has given me bucks. twins, triplets and a giant single... all bucks. this year she was in the barn, ligs gone but no signs of labor. went to town to get a few things, was only gone about an hour and a half. came back to find mom still laying down, a giant buck clean but not up and a doe about half his size still in her birth sack between mom's hind legs. i cleaned, suctioned pumped and nothing worked. dead baby girl. bet you didn't say anything to yourself that i didn't say to myself. the fact is that feces occur.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
What a beautiful bunch of babies. I lost two the same way this year. It happens and you can't prevent it. But the remaining babies are beautiful...!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
So good to know that it's a fairly common experience. I got Katahdins because I am a novice and wanted my sheep to have the best shot at life despite my inexperience ;) But of course things will still go wrong with all living animals because that's the way it works.

@goatgurl... "feces occur"? Is that a variation on a different phrase? :lol:

@BlessedWithGoats, no idea where you're located but we will probably be selling Helena this fall :)

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
So good to know that it's a fairly common experience. I got Katahdins because I am a novice and wanted my sheep to have the best shot at life despite my inexperience ;) But of course things will still go wrong with all living animals because that's the way it works.

@goatgurl... "feces occur"? Is that a variation on a different phrase? :lol:

@BlessedWithGoats, no idea where you're located but we will probably be selling Helena this fall :)
Aww! :) I live in Upper Michigan. :)

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
:love Love, love, love the pics!!!! So sorry about the lost baby ewe...and don't be giving up on that little one with weak pasterns...has not been that long!!! With twins, I would have lost several last year and one this year if I'd not been there...the mama ewes get involved with the first born and sometimes don't realize they had another one after....just happens...and unless you are there, it happens. Never beat yourself up, as life happens and we can't ALWAYS be there...also, never regret being attached as it makes you a good animal keeper...just how it goes. We just all do our best....as you are :) You are doing great!!! :)

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh....forgot to add....never did find Dixie's after birth and just assumed she'd eaten it...until our LGD Keera came dragging out "something" from under the bedding...huh?????? Took a close look...yup...there was the dried out leathery afterbirth....LOL