mysunwolf's Kindling Thread

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
So there WERE 9 babies, but on the coldest night one of them jumped out and got stuck behind the nest box :( That was sure a lesson--the box is now wedged firmly against the back wall, as well as there being a brick in front for them to climb back in. I also have put more hay down over the wire so that if they do get out, they can cuddle with mom for warmth in the hay.

The saddest part of that baby dying was that it was lilac :eek: All the other 8 babies are alive and well and have fur and open eyes (they turned two weeks old today). I still have 1 more lilac (I'm sure it's a buck), 2 chestnuts, and 5 blacks (of various shades). Very excited to see them as they get bigger and see how their colors change.

I've been trying to sex them to get an idea of how many girls I might have, but it's so tiny and confusing down there :rolleyes: I think I'm going to save quite a few does.

I can see this bunny thing becoming addicting :D

Cedar Valley Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our NZ black kindled with 14 a few months back an 16 the last time. I always breed one of my other does thats don't have very many. And foster them. Love the story! Great to have a AWESOME start :celebrate

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our NZ black kindled with 14 a few months back an 16 the last time. I always breed one of my other does thats don't have very many. And foster them. Love the story! Great to have a AWESOME start :celebrate

Awesome!! I almost asked how she would ever be able to raise 10+ babies :ep Fostering is a great idea!

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
The babies are at two weeks! Does anyone else weigh this early in the game? I'm interested in growth rates when they're this small, up until slaughter around 12 weeks, to track which does produce fast-growing litters who reach slaughter size early.

They've started to jump out of the box.
DSC_5849.JPG

So far there are still 8 of them! Doesn't that one near the bottom look lilac?
DSC_5852.JPG
DSC_5856.JPG

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hard to determine gender before 3-4 weeks to me. Their bits are just to itty bitty :rolleyes:
I also start weighing at 3 weeks :)

Petty

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Wow, they really look good at 2 weeks. You can start weighing them if you like. The earlier the better.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
The "false pregnancy" girl started pulling fur about a week before she was due. This morning, she had her first ACTUAL babies right at 31 days! There are at least 8 of the little ones in there. This is her first kindling, so we'll see over the next few weeks if she can raise them right.

Momma is serene and relieved. She must have pulled even more fur last night, because the entire shed was covered in little tufts.

DSC_5952.JPG

A nest full of kits! She had a ton of good, warm fur. Looks like there are a few brokens in there. I am so happy and so is my rabbit :)

DSC_5956.JPG

Latest posts