Nebraska

Laskaland

Just born
Reaction score
Hello!
I just joined! I am a member of Backyard Chickens too!
So, I live on an 160 acre farm, (we moved here in 2007) am a wife and mom of 2 (a 9 y.o. and 6 y.o.), working on my master's degree in special education (full-time)

We rent out the pasture for cow/calf pairs from May- September and the farm ground we rent to another farmer for soybeans/wheat/alfalfa rotation.

I started my chicken habit this summer. I have about 20 White Rock pullets t hat should start laying within the next month or so, 4 Buff Orpington Hens (2 are laying, 2 to start soon) A BO rooster (he is a STUD) and a huge Buff Cochin Roo A whole bunch of cockrels that will be sent to freezer after the first of the year, 2 Rouen females (what are they called? Drake and? Hen??) 7 Silkies of unknown sex, and I just hatched 13 new chicks (4 BO's, 9 mixed barred rock x dom x autralorp) They are adorable....

I have 16 kittens/ cats ZERO mice and a naughty chicken chasing doggie

I write romantic fiction when I have time. I like to sew and am re-learning to like cooking.

I am hoping to develop a self-sufficient lifestyle. I guess that is my ultimate goal??

I hope to get 2-3 cows in the spring, Maybe Holstein or Guerneys

Thanks for listening to me ramble!!
Christina

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hi christina,

welcome to the bunch. Sound like you have a good start there. I too belong to the back yard chickens. Their chat room is to fast for me. But they keep me rolling. Maybe I'll catch you on it one day. Everyone one here seems to have a big farm. I must be the smallest one in this group??? 2 herifers, 2 hens, 1 rooster, 1 dog, 2 cats. And 5 acres. Mare

(I think I'm going to get a complex hahahahaha)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
m.holloway said:
Everyone one here seems to have a big farm. I must be the smallest one in this group??? 2 herifers, 2 hens, 1 rooster, 1 dog, 2 cats. And 5 acres. Mare

(I think I'm going to get a complex hahahahaha)
Take another look. amysflock is small. As is NATIVO. There are others. It just that it those of us with larger operations that are answering the questions--for the most part.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for the boost!!!! I just love this group!!! Saturday, my son and I are going to try again on leading the cows. We worked with them last Sunday. Sara-lu we tide to a tree. Not bad until we untide her then she went off running to the back of the acre. Reba we had in the coral. Not bad there. Until they want out. Reba cracked the gate last week with her head. Sara-lu hit the side of the barn and I guess it spooked her.

farmchick

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey, nice to know theres another Nebraskan on here! :)