Need Corral/Pen Construction Help

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm getting mixed opinions on how I should construct the holding pen for my two 1200# heifers that are nearly ready for slaughter......... My fence builder wants to build a 12' x 20' pen using two sides of the existing fence & gate (in the pic below) combined with panels (or steel pipe) & two gates on the other two sides. The guy (that's hauling my cows to slaughter) says those heifers,once excited, can climb over the top (or through) the existing fence. He thinks I need HEAVY panels & on all four sides......... Who is correct? I desperately need to get this built so I can start penning them up daily while they eat! These heifers will eat range cubes from my hand but don't like anyone else around!

2195_100.jpg

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've never seen a pen/corral built too heavy. I've seen lots of them that were underbuilt. Underbuilt = bad experiences. Overbuilt = getting cattle loaded with much less stress to both cattle and people.

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
I've never seen a pen/corral built too heavy. I've seen lots of them that were underbuilt. Underbuilt = bad experiences. Overbuilt = getting cattle loaded with much less stress to both cattle and people.
These being my first cows, my common sense alone tells me the heavy panels on all four sides is going to be my best option......... I'm waiting to hear back from the guy hauling them. He's trying to come up with something using some of his heavy panels. Sure wished he would have mentioned a pen when he hauled them home for me in May..... I'll know better next time around.....

gltrap54

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Op here........... Constructed a holding pen with 12' 16Ga corral panels with one 10' section that has a four foot gate. Heifers adapted to feeding inside it very well. They're hanging now, can ya say "beef, it's what's for dinner!"