Need feeding advice for 3 month old lambs

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
since you are feeding the high protein grain, I would think it would be fine to give the poorer quality hay. You mentioned that you were only going to do this for a little while and I would think that would be fine.

Iceblink

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
You could try fencing them in a small area of your pasture, where they can't get enough fresh grass to give themselves bloat, then provide slightly less of the creep feed.

Last summer I had my lambs out on pasture from day 1, but in a 5'x12' pen, and I gave them 1/4 of the recommended amount of grain. I moved the pen multiple times a day, like a sheep tractor. They did grow slightly slower, but they also never bloated. Then, you could continue to work with them in a small space.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

greenacres

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
HI -- I am new to sheep and I just got two, a 4 month old ewe, 1/2 Suffolk, 1/2 Babydoll and a wether Babydoll. I have they both in a paddock with restricted access to the pasture and I am feeding lamb grower and all stock sweet feed. I am not sure how MUCH to be feeding though. They have free access to hay and limited pasture right now as well. I give them each about .5 lbs of feed mixed together twice a day. I know the breeder wasn't feeding any pellet except occasional sweet feed as a treat or enticement. They also have unrestricted access to sheep mineral, but aren't very interested in it. Any suggestions?

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
greenacres, I'd stop feeding the sweet feed. It's not specifically formulated for sheep. Stick with the lamb grower.

Latest posts